• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 Bang! (Sorry might be long)

BingBing

NAXJA Forum User
Hey there no one can seem to tell me whats going on here. I do mostly rockcrawling out here in MA. When in 4wheel trying to get traction by sawing at the wheel or even sometimes moving from a stopped position with the wheel slightly turned i get a clicking or a loud bang from the front axle. This doesn't happen all the time. Yes I did a search and came up empty. Yes i've checked the spider gears and ring and pinion for missing teeth, axle shafts are intact, ball joints have no play, axle joints have no play, and both wheel bearing assemblies are new, track bar is tight, rod ends are new. I have a 91 2 door, d30 HP front open, dana 35 rear locked, 242 t-case, 4.5" lift with 33's.

you said rod ends how do you have them attached. i am assuming they are for your steering. make sure the bolts holding the rod ends are real tight also check your CA mounts

Could be the transfer case chain/drive gears.

Just oem replacement tie rod ends. I have Tera's lower flex arms their tight. I read about someone else having the t-case chain slipping under load but hearing the noise in the front end doesn't make sense to me that it would be that but i guess anything is possible.

Anybody else?

i had a noise just like that once, i was SURE it was the front end, turned out to be a bad motor mount, just for the hell of it, have someone look at the mount while you give it gas in gear.

I had a loud bang a while back when I would saw the wheel back and forth or go around a sharp enough corner. The axle side trac bar mount had a bad bushing AND the bolt hole was wallowed out.

in feb i had a loud bang but it was easy to figure out what it was

the engine blew apart ( two pistons out the side of the block ) ( 1985 v6)

Is your d30 a disconnect model ? if so it could be that the sleave that connects the axel together (when in 4wd) is cracked legthwise and slipping teath when under a load. This happen to me......

Check all your welds. Rock crawling tends to cause stress to places that wouldn't normally see stress. One of your welds may be stressing back and forth but when you are at a stop and look under there it may not be very noticeable, :eyes: , unless they come completely apart.

Allright guys it is a non-disconnect axle and thanks for all the replies now I have some things to check for on the trail this weekend. Thank You.

Same thing with my disco last year before I locked the sleeve over both axle ends. I had been doing water crossings and the vacum activator filled w/water and wouldn't completely engage the sleeve. Banged loudly as it engaged/slipped. A bad diaphram in the activator would do the same thing. Not let the sleeve totally engage the axle end in the housing.

Michael McAtee said:
Is your d30 a disconnect model ? if so it could be that the sleave that connects the axel together (when in 4wd) is cracked legthwise and slipping teath when under a load. This happen to me......

mine is doing the exact same thing the original poster described. i have rustys adjustable trackbar with the HD bracket and bushing. every bolt on there is as tight as humanly possible to get them. impacted down and then used a long cheater bar on them. mine occurrs when my left front tire goes up and forces the left rear to droop. it makes a pop sound. after i tightened my trackbar up it chenged from a low pitched pop sound to a higher pitched creak sound. im almost convinced its coming from the rear somewhere but everything is tight. oh well. as long as nothing is falling off i dont guess i mind it.

I also had a stretched chain in my 242 that made a bang sound when it slipped. It only did it under high stress like climbing the steep ledges in Moab. It also sounded like it was coming from the front axel. Maybe by turning the wheel you are adding enough extra stress that it makes your chain slip.

SJ

Really i guess were gettin' alot of votes for the t-case drive chain slipping. I'll talk with my local jeep shop about the t-case and see if they have come across this before. What's a new chain go for anyway? Thank you for all the help!!!

Back