• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Keeping Coils from moving

barillms

NAXJA Forum User
That little coil spring keeper hook thing that bolts to the axle is supposed to keep the coil springs secured to the axle! Yea right!
Is there anything better? My coils get bounced around so much, and there's so much tension on this little piece ... there has to be something stronger to hold my coils down. My coils end up wiggling around, and I keep having to twist them back into place and it's a pain. What to do to solve this?

I would NOT weld them. Fabricate a heavier hold down plate and use a Grade 5 thru bolt and lock nut. While welding is everybodys answer that doesn't have one, if you don't have a welder you need other options. Also, you may or may not be the one that has to change that spring at a later date.

barillms said:
That little coil spring keeper hook thing that bolts to the axle is supposed to keep the coil springs secured to the axle! Yea right!
Is there anything better? My coils get bounced around so much, and there's so much tension on this little piece ... there has to be something stronger to hold my coils down. My coils end up wiggling around, and I keep having to twist them back into place and it's a pain. What to do to solve this?

red loctite on the hold down bolt ?

I put cable clamps on mine. I had to drill another hole because it has 2 nuts on it, but it worked good! Even with a broken off shock and limiter strap, it stayed where it was supposed to be (on the bottom)

Actually, I think welding the very end of the coil may keep it in place, along with the stock keeper. It's not that bad, it just wiggles and twists over time.
A small tack weld would work just fine I believe.

barillms said:
What puzzels me is there should not be any tension on that part, sounds to me like the springs are to short.
Sorta like 4" lift springs with control arms for a 6" lift.

I bought the spring holders from Rusty's. Does the job... Just don't overtighten the self tapping bolts. They can strip easily. Once they are snug, leave it alone.

The biggest problem is something is allowing way too much axle travel causing extra force on the spring retainers.

If the axle drops to far the springs run out of compression and pull up on the retainers, that's not supposed to happen.

Back