• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'93 XJ dash surround for UK

aardvark4x4

NAXJA Forum User
Are any of you guys parting out a pre '97 XJ, and have the surround for the instruments/radio/heater controls. I need one for my LHD '93 as mine is broken around the radio hole. Of course we're RHD over here so used parts like this are hard to come by. Black or silver is fine, don't really want wood effect.
If anyone is willing to mail one to the UK I can pay them in advance with my Paypal account, which is probably the easiest way. PM me if you have anything suitable.
Thanks in advance.
M.

I don't have one on hand, but I could probably come up with one easily, I'll check the salvage yard the next time I'm there. Have you tried ebay (american) there are tons of parts like this on there, maybe someone will be willing to ship to the uk??? Mine broke also (95 xj) someone stole my stereo. The stealership wanted $60. The junkyard wanted pocket change for it.

Don't get many passangers - too scared!

I still try to get in the wrong side sometimes and find the steering wheel missing........D'oh!

BTW I also need the plastic shroud for the engine driven fan on the same '93. It's a 4.0, I bought one on US Ebay but they wouldn't mail it to the UK.

aardvark4x4 said:
Don't get many passangers - too scared!

I still try to get in the wrong side sometimes and find the steering wheel missing........D'oh!

BTW I also need the plastic shroud for the engine driven fan on the same '93. It's a 4.0, I bought one on US Ebay but they wouldn't mail it to the UK.

Whats the big deal about that, expensive sure but otherwise it's just a matter of a different address. It's not like you have to run around getting it blessed, cleared and inspected. I've shipped a bunch of parts and a couple of FSM's to aus and new zealand.
Wife shipped a 'care' package of candy and condiments to a girlfriend of my daughters that was doing an exchange thing in new zealand back in january, her jaw dropped when the PO gave her the cost, was more than the contents...$60 or $80 if I remember right but aparrently reeses peanut butter cups are hard to come by down there.

RichP said:
Whats the big deal about that, expensive sure but otherwise it's just a matter of a different address.
It seems that a lot of US businesses won't accept a non-US credit card - they'll only accept money orders or Amex. It's as if we're all Nigerian scammers or something! I fell foul of this trying to get some stuff from Olympic 4x4, although the more clued up ones (Tapco, Quadratec & 4WD to my knowledge) are pretty much OK about it. Not that I'm suggesting that it could be to do with paranoid protectionism or anything! :D

Chancer said:
It seems that a lot of US businesses won't accept a non-US credit card - they'll only accept money orders or Amex. It's as if we're all Nigerian scammers or something! I fell foul of this trying to get some stuff from Olympic 4x4, although the more clued up ones (Tapco, Quadratec & 4WD to my knowledge) are pretty much OK about it. Not that I'm suggesting that it could be to do with paranoid protectionism or anything! :D

Oh, that might have some bearing on it, I'm not real familiar with how foreign CC's are done. Here the CC company gets a percentage of every sale, 3% I think [I don't do CC's, only Purchase Orders and 30 day invoiceing] so I am only going by what others that do take them have told me but you have to be 'signed up' with that CC company, bank, etc. Could it be that the foreign CC's have some kind of outrageous VAT or something that just takes too much of the margin that they can't pass on to the customer maybe. On stuff I've shipped to other jeepers they usually just send me a check to cover object + shipping, other than the time it takes to clear [ 3 weeks on a NZ check that was for a FSM] it's no big deal but if you are running a business that time is pretty long I guess. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't amex pretty much world wide ? I pretty much assumed [no comments please] that amex is pretty much 'The standard' or pretty close to a universal credit card, I know its been accepted in every country I've ever been to so I kind of figured most people would have amex.

Are you sure about CC cards outside of the US?
Sounds like your referring to eBay paypal, they don't like them because so many oversea shipments get lost.

Rick:

id say it would be mastercard not amex just from europe i havent been anywhere else

wilcharl said:
id say it would be mastercard not amex just from europe i havent been anywhere else
I think Amex must have some sort of fraud insurance thing on their cards, and since they're American anyway, it makes sense for American companies to take them.

A case in point: I'm pricing up a condenser from Tapco - they'll ship overseas, but check out the requirements they ask for...

REQUIREMENTS FOR CREDIT CARDS CHARGES

REQUERIMENTS FOR PAYMENTS WITH CREDIT CARD OVER THE PHONE OR BY E-MAIL:

1- FAXED COPY OF FRONT & BACK OF CREDIT CARD

2- FAXED A COPY OF THE DRIVER LICENSE

3- IF OUT OF THE COUNTRY, COPY OF THE PASSPORT AND DRIVER’S LICENSE

4-COPY OF THE LAST STATEMENT OF THE CREDIT CARD TO PROOF OWNERSHIP W/O CREDIT INFORMATION.

5-TAPCO WILL FAX COPY OF THE CHARGE SLIP TO BE SIGNED BY THE CREDIT CARD HOLDER PRIOR TO SHIP THE PARTS

Now, I'm not dissing them at all, since they are happy to ship, but it is, as the Scots say, more than a bit of a fankle!

Back