• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Running hatchless?

Phil

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
My hatch has been jammed shut for about a month now. I'm thinking about pulling the hatch off and running hatchless, at least for the summer.

I do not have a cage, but I can't believe that a fiberglass hatch is extremely structural. My current hatch is already cracked a little, anyway. Actually, my entire unibody may be questionable.

I am currently running without a passenger rear window, and the driver rear window can certainly come out too. There should be sufficient ventilation to prevent exhaust from being sucked into the cab.

Is there any major reason to not pull off the hatch? Security is a non-issue at this time.

Thanks. Phil

Phil said:
My hatch has been jammed shut for about a month now. I'm thinking about pulling the hatch off and running hatchless, at least for the summer.

I do not have a cage, but I can't believe that a fiberglass hatch is extremely structural. My current hatch is already cracked a little, anyway. Actually, my entire unibody may be questionable.

I am currently running without a passenger rear window, and the driver rear window can certainly come out too. There should be sufficient ventilation to prevent exhaust from being sucked into the cab.

Is there any major reason to not pull off the hatch? Security is a non-issue at this time.

Thanks. Phil
Are you trying to catchup to Porch Puppy and or Dave and Paul and just keep loosing a bit of your jeep at a time? :D

Remi, no, I'm nowhere near where those guys are at. I'm all about the bling, er, easy access.

Billy, I figure I don't have any security right now anyway (broken window, half door) and I don't need to cruise around town with a load of stuff anyhow. Didn't you have the hatch off the Mad Cow for a little bit?

Once the hatch comes off, all the exhaust get's sucked into the big square tube.
Running with windows open or doorless makes it worse.
Only when I cut the top and went totally doorless (and windowless) did it get better.
It's really nice now that I am windshieldless.
Just be prepared to smell like a muffler everywhere you go.
Good luck.

dont do it or your jeep will taco

Okie Terry said:
Just be prepared to smell like a muffler everywhere you go.
Good luck.

Smelling bad isn't a problem for Filthy Phil!

I got your exhaust fumes right here!
standard.jpg

Seriously, I have nothing useful to add to this thread! :gag:

Phil said:
Remi, no, I'm nowhere near where those guys are at. I'm all about the bling, er, easy access.

Billy, I figure I don't have any security right now anyway (broken window, half door) and I don't need to cruise around town with a load of stuff anyhow. Didn't you have the hatch off the Mad Cow for a little bit?

For a couple days 'cause I broke mine in half :laugh3:... I don't remember the exhaust being that bad... about as bad as doorless.
Billy

Give it a try and take it off. You can always go to pnp and get another hatch. I have 1 I got off of a 96' XJ in Rancho, but my bro needs it because his hatch has a few cracks already. I've thought running a tube door back there or a net like pickups run after shedding their tailgate. If you kept your tire mount and it locked it someway, you would have a degree of protection. You can only slow a thief down, if they want something in your vehicle bad enough, they'll get it. Just take out all your bling bling when you park it.

Troy

Bryan C. said:

the story of my life!

I doubt exhaust will be a big deal with your half door, sun-roof and missing rear window(s?). I would go for it, my only real concern would be stuff falling out, so one of those nets designed to replace truck tailgates would be good, or just make sure to have a bunch of tie-downs.

Bryan C. said:
XJ_ranger said:
the story of my life!
Doesn't stop you from posting though, does it? :D

You might also want to check out some of the Jeepspeed rigs because they add nets and such to lose vehicle weight. I've thought about adding window nets if I break my back windows of my 2 dr. The hitches of 84'-96' XJ are so dainty anyways with being fiberglass, they are light, but it doesn't take much to crack them. Since yours is cracked anyways, take it off and see how you like it. Make sure everything is tied down in your interior and maybe keep your tire carrier for now just to occupy that open space. Also determine if you are having a problem with your subframe because you cannot open your doors easily. I think your door/hatch alignment came out a little when you cracked the hatch. Pnp is nice and cheap and you can get a used hatch pretty cheap, I got 1 for $45 at the 1/2 price sale so even if you pay $90, that's not too bad. The South Sac and/or Stockton PNPs have a lot of XJs, the Rancho 1 did but is pretty picked clean from what I saw a month ago.

Troy

Big Red said:
You might also want to check out some of the Jeepspeed rigs because they add nets and such to lose vehicle weight. I've thought about adding window nets if I break my back windows of my 2 dr. The hitches of 84'-96' XJ are so dainty anyways with being fiberglass, they are light, but it doesn't take much to crack them. Since yours is cracked anyways, take it off and see how you like it. Make sure everything is tied down in your interior and maybe keep your tire carrier for now just to occupy that open space. Also determine if you are having a problem with your subframe because you cannot open your doors easily. I think your door/hatch alignment came out a little when you cracked the hatch. Pnp is nice and cheap and you can get a used hatch pretty cheap, I got 1 for $45 at the 1/2 price sale so even if you pay $90, that's not too bad. The South Sac and/or Stockton PNPs have a lot of XJs, the Rancho 1 did but is pretty picked clean from what I saw a month ago.

Troy

Valuable advice, as usual.

My thread got jacked. :(

Jeepspeed rigs don't matter, as they have cages. I have no cage and likely will not have one in the near future.

Recently I decided to actually secure all my junk when I go wheeling, so I should be ok when I'm loaded. I've got ideas on what to do with my license plate and third brake light.

I'm just wondering about what kind of structure comes from a cracking fiberglass hatch. Based on Okie Terry's response, I'll probably be fine without it.

Phil said:
My thread got jacked. :(

Jeepspeed rigs don't matter, as they have cages. I have no cage and likely will not have one in the near future.

Recently I decided to actually secure all my junk when I go wheeling, so I should be ok when I'm loaded. I've got ideas on what to do with my license plate and third brake light.

I'm just wondering about what kind of structure comes from a cracking fiberglass hatch. Based on Okie Terry's response, I'll probably be fine without it.
A fiberglass hatch doesn't offer any structural support, the hinges, latch and the hatch itself wouldn't be strong enough to take the pressure.

Back