• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Square driveshafts?

GREEN XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone running square driveshafts on their XJ? I'm thinking about doing it b/c my axles have 1350 yoke front and 1410 yoke rear, and I have driveshafts from the truck I got the axles from so I could take my XJ shafts and the Ford shafts along with some sqaure tubing and have my driveshafts. That way I don't have to pay to have custom driveshafts made.

done it once before couldn't balance it and if it's a dd then it will vibrate something fierce, but if it's not driven that often go for it.

Okie Terry said:
Put that thing on a rock and you'd better have a spare.

mine was 3\16 and i never had a problem breaking it or anything like that.

Can you? Sure.......
Is it wise? Define wisdom......

Let us know how it works out.

jmaxj said:
mine was 3\16 and i never had a problem breaking it or anything like that.
You got lucky.
I'm just surprised that the u-joints didn't have a problem with your square tube idea.
Roll a marble across a table, then roll a dice and you tell me which one is a more violent roll.

Okie Terry said:
You got lucky.
I'm just surprised that the u-joints didn't have a problem with your square tube idea.
Roll a marble across a table, then roll a dice and you tell me which one is a more violent roll.

it was on a trailer queen so it never seen highway. thats why i asked if his was a DD, i wouldn't have never done it if it had seen highway.

Try and twist a paper towel tube.....now try and twist a open ended box.

There is a reason they are round. As stated earlier...you could...but why?

Rev

Rev Den said:
Try and twist a paper towel tube.....now try and twist a open ended box.

If we could put some triangulation on the inside of the tube (cross-bracing, per se) that would give it additional torsional strength.

Okie Terry said:
Put that thing on a rock and you'd better have a spare.

I want $50 on the rock.

:explosion

The higher the RPM and the larger the cross section of the square tube the greater the impact. The tube may hold up just fine, U joints or yokes on the other hand...

this thread is rediculous.

I've seen tons of these on the trail, they work GREAT! They are indestructable, using 1/4wall hitch tubing you will bend/break the u-joint, yoke, or output shaft before the shaft.

the downsides is they will not balance over 20-30mph and they can be noisy (grease them a lot). If it's for a front shaft, you have selectable hubs, and you don't use 4hi, go for it. Or if it's a trailer queen and it never leaves low range, go for it front and rear.

BrettM said:
this thread is rediculous.

I've seen tons of these on the trail, they work GREAT! They are indestructable, using 1/4wall hitch tubing you will bend/break the u-joint, yoke, or output shaft before the shaft.

the downsides is they will not balance over 20-30mph and they can be noisy (grease them a lot). If it's for a front shaft, you have selectable hubs, and you don't use 4hi, go for it. Or if it's a trailer queen and it never leaves low range, go for it front and rear.

Pretty much what everybody else said. Nice recap though.

:wave:

Bent said:
Pretty much what everybody else said. Nice recap though.

Actually I count 4 people saying that it's weak, not so. Yes, 2" 1/4 wall round would handle torsional loads better than 2" 1/4 wall square, but the square is still plenty strong for the loads, and will break large rocks (I've seen it).

Saw that on my video this weekend on spike, my question is how well will it slip and how do you grease it consistantly, zerk on each plane ?
Unfinished steel, what happens when it gets wet and you end up with surface rust working in there ?
Cool idea though.

Freind of mine has one on his YJ.
This past weekend took it up to 70 mph on the highway with no problems.

ECKSJAY said:
None of our conclusions should be solid until Eagle chimes in.

That'll be awhile, I think Mrs Eagle has returned to the nest.

Back