• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

leaks everywhere

cherokeeproject

NAXJA Forum User
i have an 87 cherokee pioneer and all my seals on my doors and even around my hood are rotted and leak. are there any suggestions on the replacements? i would like something that wouldnt leak if i got water up to the bottom of my windows.

i like to play in the water :)

cherokeeproject said:
i have an 87 cherokee pioneer and all my seals on my doors and even around my hood are rotted and leak. are there any suggestions on the replacements? i would like something that wouldnt leak if i got water up to the bottom of my windows.

mini-welding-gun.jpg

Dukes of hazard style!
cool.gif

Billy

Even brand new door seals will not help you, welding everything up and sealing it will, but makes it a hassle on a DD. The amount or pressure exerted on your door seals when up to window level will get by even brand new seals, rig up a 12V bilge pump in your ride and have the exit point comming out one of your windows.........problem solved if you like playing in water that much................or install some drain plugs on your floor, pull em when you are on terra firma again (at least withe the bilge pump you don't have to stop driving), I sure do hope you don't have carpet...........

cherokeeproject said:

i would be worried about your engine bay...

something about air intake, alternator, oil system...

there is a writeup on http://madxj.com/ using newer seals. They are supposed to be thicker. I don't think they will be "waterproof", but they may help.

i dont intend to have water up to my windows but i would like to feel protected if something was to go wrong. such as unpredictable drop offs or soft mudd. and yes i do have carpet, been there done that, its how i found out i have bad seals!

i have alot of electronics that i hope not to damage, touch screen, sound system, amp, tv's, subs, speakers (had to replace drivers side), etc. etc.
i plan to purchase a marine alternator when i rebuild my engine, i hear if u just let it dry out after going under water they work fine.

a safari snorkle is also in my master plan.

If it starts comming in under your doors your about to float. The water coming it could save your ass, a wet ass is better that floating down the stream.

Dude, if you have water even half way up your doors you have alot more to worry about than door seals. Sure, I drive through water all the time, but not 4 feet deep.

i plan to order a safari snorkle for my jeep when i get the funds. ive been thinking about how to keep the water out of my cab and keep from floating and keep my electronics.

im going to put a watertight tubing around all my wires and seal it up as much as possible. also replace my alternator with a marine alternator, install my snorkle. then to keep me from sinking i was thinking of installing some tanks in the front and rear of my rig in the open spaces and have them fill with water when im in really deep to keep me from floating. and have a drain plug installed on each of them to drain out all the excess water when im on the road or the trail.
also install a bilge pump to remove the unwated water that might seep into my cab.
anybody have any opinions on this?

also after my lift kit is installed 4 feet of water wouldnt be up to my windows

cherokeeproject said:
i plan to order a safari snorkle for my jeep when i get the funds. ive been thinking about how to keep the water out of my cab and keep from floating and keep my electronics.

im going to put a watertight tubing around all my wires and seal it up as much as possible. also replace my alternator with a marine alternator, install my snorkle. then to keep me from sinking i was thinking of installing some tanks in the front and rear of my rig in the open spaces and have them fill with water when im in really deep to keep me from floating. and have a drain plug installed on each of them to drain out all the excess water when im on the road or the trail.
also install a bilge pump to remove the unwated water that might seep into my cab.
anybody have any opinions on this?

also after my lift kit is installed 4 feet of water wouldnt be up to my windows
Why not just get a boat?

Back