• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

welding on leafs?

Michael McAtee

NAXJA Forum User
I'm building a custom leaf pack, The main leaf has ben worn down where an add a leaf has rubbed against it. I would say about 1/32 materail has worn away. So, I welded it and then just grinded it smooth.. Was this a bad Idea?? Is it safe? Sorry no pictures.

I wouldnt run a welded leaf pack in my rig but it might be ok for just trail use. the area around the weld is where id be most concerned for cracking and fatigue from the heat

the way that people used to lower coil sprung cars was to heat the springs and let it settle...

heating springs with welding or anything like that seems like a bad plan IMO...

how much is a spring pack at pick and pull?
20.00 max?

is that worth a possible mainleaf failure on the freeway?

I am an engineer and a tool and die maker. Take it as gospel, you don't want to weld on springs. Spring steel has a very specific granular structure that is generated through very specific processes and welding will change that, even given the absolute perfect conditions. The most common change is that the metal crystalizes and becomes very brittle. This leads to cracking and breaking at the worst possible moment. Your life and the lives of others aren't worth the few bucks you are trying to save.

old_man said:
I am an engineer, Take it as gospel, you don't want to weld on springs. Spring steel has a very specific granular structure that is generated through very specific processes and welding will change that, even given the absolute perfect conditions. The most common change is that the metal crystalizes and becomes very brittle. This leads to cracking and breaking at the worst possible moment. Your life and the lives of others aren't worth the few bucks you are trying to save.
X2++++
bad JuJu X 10

nono.gif

Billy

Jesus people, offer the guy a main leaf. I know someones got to have a stock set laying around.
I do.
Michael, if no one from CA steps up you can have mine for shipping cost.

I would, but they seem to be like gold around here.

Of all the parts that came off my Jeep during the lift phase, the leafs and the front SB links were the only thing anyone was interested in.

Take a look at the So Cal Karma thread, one set of leafs went instantly, but check with Stephen (karstic), he might still have a set... free.

--ron

my cousin and i just got leaf and all the hard ware. u bolts, plates, etc. from an up country jeep for $10 and it took about 25 mins to pull both leafs. its def worth it to get new ones

i would NEVER do that. for an example, take an old garage door spring and weld a spot on it. then stretch/bend it a little. the heat on the metal hardens it and changes the temper. that's a good question. everybody who reads this thread is now wiser.

there is an "old man" (lol) that my old man has went to before to get custom leafs made for some of his projects. not really cheap at $200 or more a set, but to see the man work is pretty cool. he's one of the few real artisans left. anyway, you might call around and see if someone could make you a duplicate leaf or pack.

xuv-this said:
there is an "old man" (lol) that my old man has went to before to get custom leafs made for some of his projects. not really cheap at $200 or more a set, but to see the man work is pretty cool. he's one of the few real artisans left. anyway, you might call around and see if someone could make you a duplicate leaf or pack.
Thats a good price for a custom set of leaf springs, depending on the quality.

Back