• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ gets a little nautical on hood vent.. pics

xj-fx

NAXJA Forum User
I found this little deck plate on eBay. It is used as you know on boats.
The opening is 4".
I will use it as a vent when needed by just taking the lid off, and when I am in a situation where I need a snorkle I will hook a 3" tube to the AIRAID and run it through the hole up to the roof rack where a have an air filter mounted.
I've debated using screen vents but was not fond of the idea of rain running through the hood onto the engine.
Oh well! I think it will do the trick.

1122320164_1.jpg

1122320486_2.jpg

1122320519_3.jpg

Thats the most creative hood vent setup I've ever seen-- at least its original. Do you have any pics with the snorkel attatchment? Also what kind of plastic is it-- will it hold up to the temps under the hood?

I've considered that option many times, but have never found any vents that I liked.

Good job there, and do you have a PN and web address where it is availabel?

Fergie

I got mine on ebay for .50¢ + $4.00 shipping.

I'd also like to see the snorkle attached. How do you plan on sealing the area around the hole when the snorkle is in there?

NHxj4x4 said:
I'd also like to see the snorkle attached. How do you plan on sealing the area around the hole when the snorkle is in there?
Why would you have to seal up the area around the hole? As long as the intake tube into the engine throttle body is sealed up, its not like you seal up the bottom of the engine compartment to keep water from surrounding the engine in a deep crossing? Explain.

There would be no reason to seal around the hose.

Ah a port-hole, great idea.
Here's a thought...For those who want hood scoops that are functional.
Install the above porthole from inside the hood and mount the scoops over the portholes. When you want ram air, open your hood and remove the centers. When it rains or is winter, cap 'em up. This way they're hidden and the scoops actually function. I'm definitely gonna do it.

thats pretty.......... innovative i guess. is that when you go offroad? or when you feel the engine is overheating?

I usually don't open the port hole unless I'm running offroad.. the engine stays in a good temp range on the highway... If we are going offroadin' in an area where there is a stream, river or small ocean were we can play in I put the snorkel hose through the opening as well...
I still need to snap a couple of pix with the snorkel in and show you how it hooks up...

thanks for the interest.. it's always fun to come up with different things to make 4-wheeling fun..

buckle-up..

Back