• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ignition switch.

Neil

NAXJA Forum User
I don't have an FSM so forgive the stupid question. Do you have to pull the stering wheel to change the igniton switch or can it be accessed from under the dash?

Neil,
The ignition switch is on top of the column under the dash. You don't have to pull the steering wheel. But when reinstalling the switch needs to be 'timed' to work correctly.

Loosen the bracket holding the column to the underside of the dash, remove the headlamp dimmer switch and then the ignition switch. When re-installing do NOT install the dimmer switch at the same time, it makes it harder to get the ignition switch timed.

Instead, put the two capscrews that retain the ignition switch in finger tight, then actuate the key and make sure you have both a sprung "start' position and an accesory position energizing correctly. Tighten down the capscrews and re-check. When it is all timed up, remove only the one screw necsssary to install the dimmer switch, leave the other screw tight so the timing won't get out of whack.

It sounds tougher than it is, the worse part is laying on your back trying to get your hands and arms under the dash. If you don't have them now, purchase some small combination ignition wrenches, the capscrews have either a 9/32nd or smaller head size.

Good Luck,
Tom

Neil:
Tom's instructions are very good. I did not have to remove any other switches on mine (89).

If you need directions, let me know, I can e mail them to you w/pics.
Michael

Thanks, I'm diong it this Friday.

Neil said:
I don't have an FSM so forgive the stupid question. Do you have to pull the stering wheel to change the igniton switch or can it be accessed from under the dash?

All can be replaced without pulling the steering wheel however there are different locations depending on year. 84-96 are near the base of the steering column on top, 95-01 are on the left side of the steering column opposite the key cylinder near the steering wheel.

Nice Sig.

Back