• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cargo Area?

pa_muddin_xj

NAXJA Forum User
I drive a 95 xj at work and was wondering what the indentation is for on the right side. i think it has to do with the spare tire. our spare is on the outside.

pa_muddin_xj said:
I drive a 95 xj at work and was wondering what the indentation is for on the right side. i think it has to do with the spare tire. our spare is on the outside.
Your right, it's for one of those little spare's

langer1 said:
Your right, it's for one of those little spare's

I think he is talking about the passanger side indentation, correct?

The spare tire is secured on the driver's side in most XJs.

I'm not sure what that other little space is for though.

90Pioneer said:
I think he is talking about the passanger side indentation, correct?

The spare tire is secured on the driver's side in most XJs.

I'm not sure what that other little space is for though.
I put a sub-woofer in mine.

I'm guessing it's there just to provide a little extra space, or perhaps to provide a little extra space to the listed cargo dimensions. Structurally, it seems to correspond to the location of the spare tire bracket on the other side, and I note that there's an indentation in the fender well too. I don't know whether the spare is mounted on that side for RHD models. I'll have to try to remember to look next time my mail man comes by in his RHD XJ.

I put my fire extinguisher in it.

pa_muddin_xj said:

For my 99 I know there was an option for a 6 cd changer that went in that space(not that I could afford it....), I have also seen some aftermarket units that convert it to a pocket for storage...

Although it wasn't designed for it, I fit my fire extinguisher in there and hold it in place with a couple of bungee cords. Perfect fit

The dent in the right rear wheelwell is there for the same reason the nutserts are there under the drivers side headliner trim for the "Oh Jeeeezus" handles...one body acommodates both LHD and RHD :lecture: :laugh3:

As for its purpose I have no idea. Back when I first got my XJ I built a net to hold stuff in there. Worked great (wish I took a picture) Now like Langer1 I have also put a sub in there.

The rebirth of an old thread. When I got my latest XJ, it coincided with the demise of my 78 Mercedes. Mercedes of that vintage came with a nifty first aid kit contained in a plastic compartment in the package shelf. I found that I was able to adapt the whole thing to that space on the Jeep, so now I have a built-in first aid kit, just like an X-Terra! Those Germans must have expected some very gory accidents on the autobahn. The original kit has enough gauze to wrap a a couple of mummies.

Matthew Currie said:
Those Germans must have expected some very gory accidents on the autobahn. The original kit has enough gauze to wrap a a couple of mummies.

it's of course law that autos carry a first aid kit and triangle over there, I don't know if the contents are mandated or not, probably are.
My audi had the kit in the rear seat center arm rest under a little lid. Kind of nifty.

Silly Americans....
egon_misc_de50_gold.gif

...perfect fit. :D

Whether it was the original intent or not, it seems MOPAR, at some point, did offer a storage box that fit in that space.

The pictures are now gone, but here is a thread discussing it.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=100919

The Xterra's First Aid kit location has to be about the dumbest thing I've ever seen. It doesn't look bad, bulging out of the back like that, but the entire point is dumb.......they changed the body just to accomodate a first aid kid? I mean come on, you could have put it anywhere else.

It's not like it's a signature design of the Xterra.......first off, no other vehicle's really look like it......it is signature enough!

Jus a note on the Mercedes first aid kit. I think they had it long before they were mandated, starting in the mid-70's. What happened, as I understand it, was that they relocated the fuel tank to a space behind the rear seat, and had then to provide an access panel to the sender unit. Some brilliant engineer of the sort that at least once upon a time made Mercedes special said, "hey, as long as we've got to put a little door in there anyway, why not....." and in went the first aid kit in a little well, which when removed reveals the tank sender.

Matthew Currie said:
Jus a note on the Mercedes first aid kit. I think they had it long before they were mandated, starting in the mid-70's. What happened, as I understand it, was that they relocated the fuel tank to a space behind the rear seat, and had then to provide an access panel to the sender unit. Some brilliant engineer of the sort that at least once upon a time made Mercedes special said, "hey, as long as we've got to put a little door in there anyway, why not....." and in went the first aid kit in a little well, which when removed reveals the tank sender.

Hey, look at the bright side, it could be an american engineer that would say fuel pumps don't go bad often, they can just drop the gas tank to access it.

Those old mercs are pretty darn solid cars.

Blaine B. said:
The Xterra's First Aid kit location has to be about the dumbest thing I've ever seen. It doesn't look bad, bulging out of the back like that, but the entire point is dumb.......they changed the body just to accomodate a first aid kid? I mean come on, you could have put it anywhere else.

It's not like it's a signature design of the Xterra.......first off, no other vehicle's really look like it......it is signature enough!

does the Xterra tailgate lift up like ours, if so that would be really funny if you went to unzip the first aid kit it would all spill upside down on your head.

-Tim

Back