• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C conversion question

old_man

NAXJA Forum User
I've converted my rig over to R134, but I did it when I was doing a complete rebuild, so the only thing that had been running R12 was the compressor. I have a buddy who needs some help converting. If I pump his system down, do I need to put any stabilizer junk in there to handle the old oil? or can I just refill with R134?

I've done this a couple times...

Bear in mind that R134 apparently has higher working pressures, thus the difference between R134a and R12 compressors. You're likely to be changing a compressor soon after the refit.

The receiver-drier/accumulator (whatever that thing's called - under the compressor on the low-pressure side, with the LPCO switch on it) will need changing - after you evacuate and flush the system. The accumulator has a dessiccant (sp?) in it, and has a habit of hanging onto the R12 lube. Mix the Ester (R-12) and "PAG" (R134a) lubes, and it's like foamed glue - wrecks everyting.

There is enough differences between the two that changing the hoses isn't a bad idea, either. They're probably due anyhow.

Having said all that, there's a "hydrocarbon" refrigerant out there, instead of a halogenated hydrocarbon - it's supposed to work better than the R134a or the R12, and be easier on parts. Chcek it out here - http://www.autocool-refrigerants.com/

I'm going to get hold of them and get some more information, but all you apparently need to do is evacuate and flush, change the service valves to R134a-style, and fill with Autocool. Compatible with pretty much any oil, and lower head pressures than R12 or R134a - so it's easier on compressors.

5-90

When I did mine, I swapped the "dryer" unit you mentioned, but I am sure I heard that they had a stabilizer you can put in that allows you to just do the R134 change over. Anybody have any info on this? My buddy doesn't have two nickels to rub together right now, sound familiar?

Back