• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange 'Button' between the sun visors on my 96......?

Runnin'OnEmpty

NAXJA Forum User
It's a 96 Sport, and has a plastic piece with a bubble lens looking gizmo, attached to the headliner between the sunvisors. The owners manual dosen't mention what the function is. Does anyone know it's purpose?
Thanks,
ROE

Its a camera......people are watching you

I can't lie, it's for your keyless entry.

Its a camera......people are watching you
Ha ha, now I really AM paranoid...... :)

Thanks for the replies, guys. I didn't get a remote key fob with my 'new' 96. Can I buy a remote, and program it some way to work with my XJ?

Its really not worth the money unless you come across a remote cheap. Retail on it was $152 last time I checked. Its a crappy outdated system with a range of about 5 feet if you have good aim. You're much better off getting an aftermarket keyless entry system than putting money into that one. They're cheap and work much better.

Btw, I bought a remote for mine for $20 on another board. It worked for almost two years and then it died one day when I dropped my keys. Its a very simple process to program it but I can't remember the procedure off hand.

Atl XJ said:
Its really not worth the money unless you come across a remote cheap. Retail on it was $152 last time I checked. Its a crappy outdated system with a range of about 5 feet if you have good aim. You're much better off getting an aftermarket keyless entry system than putting money into that one. They're cheap and work much better.

Btw, I bought a remote for mine for $20 on another board. It worked for almost two years and then it died one day when I dropped my keys. Its a very simple process to program it but I can't remember the procedure off hand.

I first got a remote for $30 off ebay and then was so unimpressed with the range that I got an aftermarket RF remote start / keyless entry for $50 or so.

Can you get a remote start to work with a manual trans. ('99 Sport)? The clutch pedal has to be fully depressed to start it with the key, so I figure I'm out of luck on this option.

I may want to leave the idea alone anyhow, since I have to park on an uphill street a lot and leave it in first just in case the P-brake doesn't hold. Hate to press the button and see my XJ run off without me.

Thanks for all the info, guys. I really wasn't familiar with infra-red keyless entry (they work sorta like TV remotes, I guess).

I've seen a few of the key fobs on E-bay for about $15-20. I'll even bet a junkyard would have some....? I think I'll try to find one, and see how it works; I'm not really concerned about the range, since I don't use a remote until I'm right up to the vehicle, anyway.

Is the infrared remote system really dependable/reliable? I'm now starting to worry about someone opening my XJ with a TV remote :tv:, and stealing it.....

BruteXJ, you would have to leave it in neutral, and disable the clutch starting interlock. I wouldn't advise it, since you park on a hill.

Very good aviation pictures, by the way.

Last edited:
Another fact to throw in is that they dont work well in bright sunlight and dont tint your windows or it makes it even worse. I would hold it up to my windows and keep pressing the button trying to get it to work. Another factor is that they are commonly broken. There are pieces inside that are soldered together that break very easily when you drop them. Thats what happened to mine and many others so before you go through all the bs to try to get one make sure its been tested. Also, I was generous on the 5 feet of range, thats every once in a while that it would work that far away (before I tinted my windows). Most of the time I would just sit there by the door pressing it a few times before it finally worked. Changing the batterys made zero difference. It wasnt a big deal at all when it broke since I rarely used it anymore. I used it for a few months out of spite since i went through all the trouble to find one cheap and program it.

Bottom line, dont waste your time, you will probably be dissapointed. Btw, its not an alarm or anything just a simple lock unlock for all the doors and the rear hatch.

Edit: I'd be very surprised if a junkyard had one. Also, there isnt anyway to steal your XJ with another type of remote. It has to be programmed to your vehicle.

Disabling (jumper wire on the switch) the clutch interlock, a good idea in my opinion. It allows you to start in neutral, avoiding certain stresses on things engine bearings before oil kicks in. Just remember to put it in neutral. Remote start? Generally bad idea, I think. Remember the problem w/ Grand Cherokees slipping out of park? I know someone who starts and unlocks his camaro from a conservative estimate of 100 yards (so it warms up?). Thats asking for someone to jump in and speed off. I have the m/t, so it wouldn't work unless parked flat but I usually leave it in gear anyway as a precaution. Worth the time to start your vehicle while youre actually in control of it. Oughta be a law now that you mention it...

Last edited:
You can program an infra red remote yourself.

Open driver door
put rocker for door lock on inside of door to 'lock'
switch ignition on
point remote at reciever and hold lock button down
central locking will cycle several times
switch ignition off

Easy!

BruteXJ said:
Can you get a remote start to work with a manual trans. ('99 Sport)? The clutch pedal has to be fully depressed to start it with the key, so I figure I'm out of luck on this option.

I may want to leave the idea alone anyhow, since I have to park on an uphill street a lot and leave it in first just in case the P-brake doesn't hold. Hate to press the button and see my XJ run off without me.

Not that this is recommended, but I know in my wife's 2000 TJ, there is a fuse that you pull to disable the Clutch pedal needing to be depressed. Alot of people pull the fuse when they are off roading so that they can start the vehicle in gear on a hill or other tricky spot...

Aardvark, thanks for the programming instructions. You're right, sounds like an easy job........

Back