• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

driving without axles up front??

VegasAnthony

NAXJA Forum User
I know this thread will get quite a few views just for the title :laugh3:

anyhoo heres the deal
I am parting out a cherokee
basically I want to take the driveshafts , tcase , tranny
and the front axles
my question is this
If i remove the front axles
and replace the hubs
can I pull the jeep around the corner from my house
without the wheels falling off??
Im not sure if the axles have something to do with keeping the wheels on the jeep

Does this make sense

Basically Im trying to get the city to tow it away as a abandoned car

I called a couple of guys in the yellow pgs and they want to charge me a fee to haul it away
the cheapest was
$100
Id would just leave it in front of my house but it seems to take the city forever to tow a car around here..

Its not a ff axle, so the axle helps to support the weight of the vehicle. I've heard people say not to drive around without the front axle shafts in for this reason, not sure about pushing a couple of feet though.

VegasAnthony said:
Basically Im trying to get the city to tow it away as a abandoned car

I called a couple of guys in the yellow pgs and they want to charge me a fee to haul it away
the cheapest was
$100
Id would just leave it in front of my house but it seems to take the city forever to tow a car around here..
Wow. That's a real great position to take..."I'm too cheap to have it disposed of correctly, so I'll just take the lazy route and tie up my city government services by "abandoning" the Jeep? But you want to do it around the corner so it's not mistaken for one of yours?

Do a Search on the hubs and axleshaft...

Yucca-Man said:
Wow. That's a real great position to take..."I'm too cheap to have it disposed of correctly, so I'll just take the lazy route and tie up my city government services by "abandoning" the Jeep? But you want to do it around the corner so it's not mistaken for one of yours?

Do a Search on the hubs and axleshaft...

First Im not sure how CO works with thier policy on abandoned vehicles
but Im do know how Nevada works.
In NEVADA vehicles that are abandoned are towed by companies that work for the state . They are contracted out. When they tow a car and no one claims it they take possesion of the car and guess waht they do...
why they sell it at auction, thats right for cash..
So now someone that is looking for that kind of vehicle goes down and bids on it a wolla they get to take them home WITH A PROPER TITLE.
So the tow companies in town are happy as pigs in shite to get a vehicle for nothin and sell it for cash and all they have to do is burn some gas picking it up.
They also reserve the right to bid on any vehicle they see fit.
And if they dont sell it they can take it to the scrap yard where once again they paid for scrap metal and once again MAKE MONEY ON THE DEAL.

So for them its a win win situation..
and Im 90% sure a cherokee with an engine and full interior and good glass will end up at thier local yard and picked over by people who need parts for thier jeep(btw they sell a D30 housing for over $200 at those yards in Nevada)

Ohhh yea and by the way have you read the little section on NAXJA rules that says

"Rudeness toward another Forum participant will not be tolerated. Any participant who is intentionally unpleasant, obscene, or disruptive will receive one (1) warning. Any participant who offends after receiving a warning may be suspended for a period of time determined by the BOD, or banned permanently without further warning.

Personal attacks directed toward another Forum participant will not be tolerated."

So if you would like to post whether or not the wheels will fall of
please do
otherwise :gag:

but I would rather you didnt flame me unless you know what the situation is in my state

It's supposed to be OK if you leave the stub axles in and the spindal nut torqued down. I had a buddy drive from Sedona Az. to Orange County Ca. with that arrangement and all was fine. Have you thought about calling up some fund raising organization and donating it? You may even gat a tax write off from it.

slowrider said:
It's supposed to be OK if you leave the stub axles in and the spindal nut torqued down. I had a buddy drive from Sedona Az. to Orange County Ca. with that arrangement and all was fine. Have you thought about calling up some fund raising organization and donating it? You may even gat a tax write off from it.

Yea Maximus mentioned that ..
But I have no titile??
I dont think they will take it
this Jeep shouldnt go to the scrapper
it should go to the picka part and be scavanged by XJ owners needing trim adn parts

[

Ohhh yea and by the way have you read the little section on NAXJA rules that says

"Rudeness toward another Forum participant will not be tolerated. Any participant who is intentionally unpleasant, obscene, or disruptive will receive one (1) warning. Any participant who offends after receiving a warning may be suspended for a period of time determined by the BOD, or banned permanently without further warning.

Personal attacks directed toward another Forum participant will not be tolerated."

So if you would like to post whether or not the wheels will fall of
please do
otherwise :gag:

but I would rather you didnt flame me unless you know what the situation is in my state[/QUOTE]

:rattle: :rattle: :rattle: :rattle: :rattle:

I'd say go for it. I've seen a thread on here about a user who removed a broken shaft and bolted the hub back on and drove at least a few miles I think down the road before the hub fell off and left him with a balljoint buried in the pavement. :)

If you're just driving it "around the corner"... then it'll probaby hold. Just make sure to part it so the tow truck doesn't tow it with the front wheels on the ground... :)

If you've got some broken stub shafts, then put those in and you'll be good to drive as far as you need... had a friend who did that after breaking a 30 shaft... he drove 50-60 some miles home and then all around town with the broken stub in and no problems.

this is a joke! yup! 100$ is really a lot of money to tow a car, especially that you can afford lifting your jeep and wheeling it...

" would just leave it in front of my house but it seems to take the city forever to tow a car around here.." well, let me guess.... they are too busy towing other "abandoned" cars/trucks?????

Last edited:
Have you called junkyards? Yards around here will take cars and GIVE you cash for them. When crushed they get cash for the steel.

so you want to take the ENTIRE axle out?? I had to re-read your post... still not sure, cuz of the replies.. The replies are talking about the axle shafts.. but your post is talking about the AXLE..

1) yeppers... if u take the shafts out, you can still drive. the wheel attaches to the hub so no biggie, just have to take the axle nut off..
2) you should know that if u take the entire axle out, you will be left with the front end on the ground. (this is why i'm confused)....?? Might be the air WAY up here in the North.. :)

good luck with what ever u decide to do, just remember YOU ARE PAYING for the abandoned car program... it's called city/state taxes. so if people abuse this 'service'.. it will start to reflect in the amount of tax you pay. IMHO.

Jesse

As noted above, the wheel will fall off sooner or later without an axle shaft in it, or something to substitute for it. The hubs are pressed together, and may hold for a little while, but the outer axle stubs are meant to keep them together. If they tow it front down, as they might, it could fall apart during towing.

I will not razz anyone for abandoning a car if it is reasonable and legal in the situation, but I think it would be better to rent or borrow a dolly and haul it to a junkyard yourself. You may not recover the whole cost of the dolly, but you'll come out pretty close to even, and it could save hassles, legal repercussions, unexpected charges, etc.

Why not score the stubs from a 2WD one and slap them in? (I pack them with me as spares in case the tube gets too bent to stick a spare shaft in)

The pressed-together hub WILL pull apart if the stub-shafts aren't installed to hold it together. With the stubs you can operate it without the axleshafts.

It's possible to have your license suspended around here if you abandon a vehicle and don't claim it. FYI.

I know it's not answering your question, but if you posted it in the "Free" section on NAXJA, you might find someone willing to give it a good "home" for parts.
Why can't anyone offer a free XJ around here?!?!

If the vehicle you remove the parts from isn't in your name, the police may dust it for prints and nail you with stolen vehicle. I had to deal with this when someone that owed me money didn't come through with a title and I pushed it to the roadside to be hauled for scrap. City ordinance officer came by and had it hauled to police impound and it cost me $1700 to clear my name!

What year is it? You have any pics??

For $100 minus the gas it takes to get me and a trailer to your location, I will take care of it for ya...

I have friends in the Fort Collins area also...

Around here, they will come get a vehicle and give you at least $25...Why not advertise it for parts or something, dont need a title to sell a parts vehicle if you are upfront and honest about it...

Cory

Back