• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help Fast!!! My Jeep wont shift from park.

white99z

NAXJA Forum User
I am all packed up and ready to leave for Indiana and now my damn jeep wont shift out of park so I cant leave my driveway. It is a 1990 6 cyl with an automatic transmission. I need to leave asap so any help is appreciated. Thanks

Only two things I can think of is, first, turn the jeep off, then try starting it again. I've known some vehicles to 'lock' so to speak. Once shut off and turned on, it'll come out of gear. Happened to my neighbour the other day actually. The other thing is, is the shifter handle down all the way and in place? WHen screwing around with mine, didn't get it down all the way in, and did the same thing.
Only other thing I can think that may be a cause is the linkage is screwed somehoe, but hopefully it's just a simple fix.
Good luck!

You're truck dosn't want to go to Indiana;)
Mine does that because the T handle is loose and tries to pop up off of the shifter. Try pushing down on the T in line with the shifter shaft while you're pushing the button on the side in, works for me

Check your brake lights. If the fuse is gone or the switch is bad, it won't release the cable. You can pop the cover off the shifter and manually release the cable with a screwdriver (first thing I yanked in mine) or have someone rock the Jeep uphill while you try to shift.

Check the brake switch on the pedal. If it isn't connected/working the shift interlock won't release.

Took me a couple hrs to figure it out after replacing the dash and knocking the switch loose in the process.

Back