• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tierod

etaniyani

NAXJA Forum User
hey everyone, im thinking about making a new tierod. i was wondering if reusing the stock tierod ends would be defeating the purpose of the strength factor. if so, would heim joints be a good alternative? this is my DD, are there any disadvantages to heim joints? also what kind of thickness and OD tubing should i use. thanks in advance for your help.

The disadvantage to heims on a street (or trail) vehicle is that dirt can easily get into the ball race and accelerate wear. They are great on race cars where dirt and muck aren't regularly encountered (and when the team probably replaces them after every race or two anyway) but I haven't ever felt they were a good choice for a daily driver type vehicle.

thanks for the pics. i was thinking about building both the tie rod and drag link, but i dont have the ability to make the bends in the drag link like the stock one has. do any of you guys notice a difference in stability when you replaced these items? thanks.

Back