• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

squeaking, axle U-Joint?

XJ99

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys, been away on vacation for a week, first post since I got back....well I've been avoiding this for a while now but I have a noise I need to put a finger on...It Just started to really annoy me so Its time to fix It so I dont hurt whatever
nixweisscc.gif
It is any longer....

Well It seemed like It all started on my way home from rausch creek with the pack....I went in a deep mud hole and I guess It all caked up in the rotors...we were coming home and my rotors/disc brakes
nixweisscc.gif
were squeaking like crazy so we pulled over yanked my front tires off and cleaned the rotors out real well and It seemed like It stopped for a while...then It started back up again slowly....cleaned them real well when I got home and still the squeaking/metal grinding sound existed....I asked around and was told It could be the D30 Axle U-Joints? What do ya think?

After being on vacation I noticed It only acts up while going under 25mph....anything over and I dont get a peep out of It....but anything under and It squeaks randomly going down the road....It seems like It is definatley coming from the front left tire/wheel/rotor area but I cant be 100% sure cause I dont know much about axle maintance....so what you think? sorry for the long post but I need to get this fixed, If It the 2 front D30 axle U-Joints how much are they to replace,

Check if you have play in the wheel bearings. My jeep needs a hub assembly and squeaks at low speeds and probably higher speeds but wind noise drowns it out. I also have a vibe that kicks up above 55mph, my bad tie rod could be adding to the vibes though. Jack up the jeep and grab the wheel and shake it around.

XJ99 said:
hey guys, been away on vacation for a week, first post since I got back....well I've been avoiding this for a while now but I have a noise I need to put a finger on...It Just started to really annoy me so Its time to fix It so I dont hurt whatever
nixweisscc.gif
It is any longer....

Well It seemed like It all started on my way home from rausch creek with the pack....I went in a deep mud hole and I guess It all caked up in the rotors...we were coming home and my rotors/disc brakes
nixweisscc.gif
were squeaking like crazy so we pulled over yanked my front tires off and cleaned the rotors out real well and It seemed like It stopped for a while...then It started back up again slowly....cleaned them real well when I got home and still the squeaking/metal grinding sound existed....I asked around and was told It could be the D30 Axle U-Joints? What do ya think?

After being on vacation I noticed It only acts up while going under 25mph....anything over and I dont get a peep out of It....but anything under and It squeaks randomly going down the road....It seems like It is definatley coming from the front left tire/wheel/rotor area but I cant be 100% sure cause I dont know much about axle maintance....so what you think? sorry for the long post but I need to get this fixed, If It the 2 front D30 axle U-Joints how much are they to replace,

I had a similar noise in my 97. I pulled the front drive shaft- Easy to do, and the noise went away. Turns out it was the strap that holds the ujoint to the front yoke.

Worth a try-

HTH

Jeff-97XJ

Back