• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gonna get a new truck(?) need 2 answers

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
In question...1990 XJ, 2 door, 169xxx miles, Auto, NP231 TC, 3.55 gears. It is a base model truck but has COMPLETE under carriage armor...t-case, gas tank, etc. He hasn't driven it in almost a year, less a few hunderd miles. When I moved it, I broke the rear brakes loose, as he had the e-brake on the whole time it sat. The guy will let it go for $1600.

Question 1: When I looked at it, the coolant tank on the firewall in front of the pax side was completely empty. By the time I took it around the parking lot 2x, the temp guage was reading 240 degrees and there was hot smoke coming from the tank. When I popped the hood, the tank was full, and the steam was escaping from 2 small cracks in the top of the tank. Is this something to worry about, or is the tank pretty easy to just replace and refill? I am not sure about this "closed" system. I would need to swap this in the parking lot just to get it back home.

Question 2: How can I tell if the TC is good? The lever was very tough to move and I did wrestle it into 4 lo and 4 hi. I was in a parking lot, so I turned back and forth and swerved some. The tires felt like they were "jumping" during the turns.

Outside those items, I think it will make a good trail wagon.

Any comments from those in the know. I would appreciate info ASAP, as I would need to pick it up tomorrow before I leave town for a week.

Thanks y'all.

The coolant tank is easy - order a new one from Quadratec or Morris for about $20 (with lid,) replace it, and refill. As long as you haven't picked up a "steam void" behind the thermostat you should be fine -but since you said it's been sitting and it heated up right away, just change the thing. It's a few bucks and cheap peace of mind. Refer to my posts on the RENIX cooling system, and drilling the thermostat to make the system "self-burping."

Those tanks tend to go out over time - remember to keep a spare handy. It takes about 10 years or so for them to fail (from what I've seen so far,) so you'll probably hold on to that spare for a while. Keep from UV lighting. Might want to order a spare cap as well, since they're not just everywhere (Morris has them for about three bucks.)

Plan on at least disassembling and cleaning the brakes - I'd probably change the drums and rotors, if it's been sitting. I'm sure they're not pretty... Take the adjusters out, wire-wheel them, lube with dry graphite, and put them back. The e-brake struts may also be a little sticky by now.

The transfer case linkage gets a little stiff if it isn't used - went thru the same thing with my wife's 89 Limited. Since you said the tired were chirping/jumping while you were doing turns, the 4WD probably kicked in. You can check - put all four wheels up on stands, shift it in, and see what's moving. I'm sure it will get easier - I had to train my wife to engage 4WD at least once a fortnight to keep everything going. Don't have to do it for long, but it's often enough to catch problems (so I can fix them before they get really bad!) and it keeps everything limbered up.

Welcome to RENIX!

5-90

I dont know what they go for in Tennessee, but thats a little over priced up here.... When I was car shopping a few months ago, I could have found you 100 XJs with skids and such for less money, BUT a with 90' in michigan you can usually drive it like fred flintstone if you know what I mean, I guess if the body is solid go for it

sounds like an okay deal. the jeep is running too hot if it's hitting 240, my texas xj summer runs at 205-10, winter at 190-95. the tires jumping is wheel hop. your 4wd was active. if you can, go ahead and change all the fluids, diffs, trans, x-case, engine oil. lube it all up while your at it. if you give this xj just a day or two of loving, it's almost guaranteed to love you back for a long time. like, littlewhitexj said, if the body's straight, buy it. if you're paying cash, offer less.

Back