• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Shock Replacement Problems....

Toph

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I'm in the process of replacing the shocks on my '01. The fronts went great, but when I got to the rears I snapped all 4 of the bolts that mount the top of the shocks to the body.

If I can extract the studs, does anyone know the bolt size? I'm not sure what's up in there. Is drilling and tapping for replacement bolts an option?

What does the average joe do?

Toph said:
What does the average joe do?
After the initial gnashing of teeth has been completed ... any of a number of things.

This has been written up numerous times. I invite you to fire up search, because to steer you to the multiple answers to your question someone has to search, and it might as well be you rather than me.

Eagle said:
After the initial gnashing of teeth has been completed ... any of a number of things.

This has been written up numerous times. I invite you to fire up search, because to steer you to the multiple answers to your question someone has to search, and it might as well be you rather than me.

I hear ya. I wasn't sure if there was a quick 'n easy or not. I posted minutes after this happened, in an "interesting state of mind", hoping for the best.

I'm glad to hear I'm not alone. I'm sure I'll find the answers I need.

I appreciate everyone's input, and especially the older posts that I found when searching. I understand how that goes. I help run a rather large F-Body board and I know how it can be when some of the same questions pop up over and over.

I could talk someone through completely dissassembling and reassembling a late model Camaro or Firebird over the phone, but I haven't quite gotten to that point with my XJ yet. Hopefully soon.

Anyway, here's what I ended up doing so if someone ends up searching in the future...at least I've got my .02 in.

In hindsight to all of it, PB Blaster would have been a welcome addition to this project. I ended up using a combination of a hammer and a punch and an air chisel to knock the nuts/broken bolts out of the holes. From there I took a 3/16 x 6" drillbit and drilled up into the holes through the cargo floor. Where the bit came through I cut an "x" in the carpet and peeled the carpet back and used a hole saw to create an access to the back side of the holes. From there it was as simple as using some 5/16-18x1" GR8 bolts to tighten everything back up. Tomorrow I'll use some spray adhesive and glue the carpet back down, and it'll look just like new. (Ive done the same on the cage in my T/A, and you can't tell there's an "x" cut in the carpet.)

That's about it. Hopefully this helps someone out down the road. Now it'd be nice if I had to do something like this to repair damage from using this thing instead of just routine maintenance.

Last edited:
Thats exactly what I was considering doing just a few days ago. Great minds think alike. I had a pretty good feeling it would work out o.k., now that you have done it, I know it will. Id rather do a permanent fix and not ever have to go back to this again. Thanks again Daimler Chrysler, keep cuttin' corners for thats what keeps us Jeeper's busy on weekends...

Self taping bolts work great i used them on 2 of my xjs and no problems. I did it like 4 years ago. Its very easy it took me about half an hour for both sides

You did it like 4 years ago, and these guys did it 3 years ago, because this is when that thread was from.

I see your new, its fine, happens a lot. Its usually a good idea to check the post dates on threads before posting up something to them.

Back