• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 8.8 question, posi-traction, what?

aroncull

NAXJA Forum User
OK so ive decided to go with the Ford 8.8 rear
im curiouse:

1. does the axle have a tab on it like the dana's that tells you the grearing?
I understand the highest i will find is 4.10 or 4.11's?

2. posi-traction is that something to look for or should i bypass and go staight to the rear ARB. If it something to look out for how do i determine that the axle has it?

3. limited slip, i do understand this BUT isnt this just another way of saying positrack or visversa+ differnt companies same idea?

application details.
I will be doing some technical trails and mostly wheeling hard , but not really really hard climbing and rock crawling.. but i defintaly want to go to MOAB and get it on!!!!

so with that in mind, here is more to chew on

97 XJ 4 inch lift
265/75/16's
other build items are coming but for now i want drivetrain.
i am planning on reagearing the front to match whatever comes in the ford 8.8 to save money and then do new shafts in front with an ARB as this is my Daily Driver...
so i was hoping that this positrack will be an OK thing for the rear if i have an ARB in front..
they are damn expensive! hasta

anyways im still a noob, pleas einform me...

thanks- aaron

(ps and by the way to all you search hags out there.. i did search a while :kissyou: )

Last edited:
if you searched you would have found this:
http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/ford88.html

which is the venerable bible for the 8.8 swap...

the trashlock in the 8.8 doesnt hold a candle to the dana series tracklocks, and i would bypas them in favor of an open carrier that can be locked with a lunchbox style locker...

Ford also has the diff tags, and yes they will tell you what is inside the axle...

the 8.8 is a nice rear end, however, it isnt the only one out there...

search for Toyota 8" Ford 9" and Dana 44 as well - they all have their positives and negitives...

if you are going to match the front to what the rear has - id search out a rear end with 4.11's from the factory (unless you are looking at the yota - then you can find 4.56...)
www.car-part.com is the best online parts searching thing that i have ever found, and well worth some time looking on there...

MMM yes google is my friend.. but i forgot about him.. alas!!

OK so.. the thing is that i can get a complete ford from salvage for around $350.
I thought that was a good deal alone for just the rear disk breaks??

ok so toyota rear ..

thanks XJ_ranger

aaron

Hmmm ok so having seen the available axles in my area, they are all very expensive $400+ vrs $200 and up in AZ or UT!!

anyways the ones with " lockers are around $700 here!

OK OK enough raggin...

So I have ABS on my xj and having seen that some of the axles have the ABS designation does that mean I sould go with that model..

My brain is telling me that the XJ's that have ABS are controlled from a computer at the master brake cylinder..

(or whatever i dont really know anything about that!!)

aaron

ok so from the M.O.R.E site at the bottom of the listing for there install kit the following:

Note: The Ford 8.8 is not compatible with anti-lock brake equipped Jeep® vehicles!

So bieng as i am going t o keep the ABS ( I know I know)
Does that mean that i need to get a D44?

thanks

aaron

aroncull said:
ok so from the M.O.R.E site at the bottom of the listing for there install kit the following:

Note: The Ford 8.8 is not compatible with anti-lock brake equipped Jeep® vehicles!

So bieng as i am going t o keep the ABS ( I know I know)
Does that mean that i need to get a D44?

thanks

aaron

Why do u need to upgrade your axles when you are keeping abs? if your going to be wheeling hard enough to need the stregth of a new axle it seems like u would want to ditch abs. Im sure there are axles compatable w/ abs out there. Maybe hte 29 spline 8.25 axle? direct bolt in. good luck.

aABS: Well mainly want to keep it as its my daily driver and i haul my kids around in it...

so i like that ABS' ness But i do realize that hard wheelin and ABS are not really friends...

8.25 huh.
ok thanks

aaron

good luck finding an 8.25 with ABS (very rare... or possibly non-existent. It has been stated that "if you have ABS, you have the Dana 35 rear end" although, how reliable is the factory?)
Dana 44 with ABS... depends, and the ABS system between yours and the '89 or whatever the donor is may differ anyway. Safe to reuse your hardware.

If you're hell-bent on the ABS system, then you're going to really have to learn how it works, because The 8.8's ABS is not where to start. It has some ring on the carrier, whereas the XJ system uses a sensor at each wheel. Instead, you'll have to do such things as described here, which essentially is to move your ABS hardware over to the 8.8 http://members.cox.net/rough-riders/tech_page/ford8.8/ford8_8.html:
"I got the ABS to work, but it was a huge pain. The shoulders of the Ford shafts (where the tone rings press on) are actually smaller than the shoulders of the Dana shafts. Unfortunately, the difference is too small for a sleeve, so you have to bore out the tone ring a bit so that a sleeve can be fabricated and fit between the ring and the shaft. With the tone ring on the shaft, the axle tube is 1/8" too long, you can't get the shaft in far enough to slip the C-clip in. A grinder fixes that problem. You also have to grind out an area on the flange for the tone ring sensor."
Or, carry spares for your dana 35 and really learn how to fix it.

OK OK i guess that maybe i should rethink and consider just upgrading my D35 and keep a spare axle around :gag:
it seams that anything else is very expensive and for about the same price as an axle, I could at least get gears in and disk brakes on my D 35..
Not nearly what i wanted to do but i am mostly a DD anyways

thanks
aaron

Im just curious if anyone else is getttin a chuckle out of this thread??

I mean crap bro

youi started with the decision to go to a 8.8 (great axle)
then someone mentions a toyota 8" (by the way its to narrow and you would have to get spacers or really offset wheels ..just a pia)
then someone offers up a 8.25 another good choice

and after all that you want to keep the ABS( which I understand )

this Jeep is your daily driver
you want to drop the $$ for gears and a ARB
so you can go to MOAB and "get it on"

crap no one even asked the most important question

WHAT SIZE TIRE ARE YOUI RUNNING

DUHHHHHHH

Im guessing ummmm close to 32" cause you are running a 16" wheel and metric size
(stated in one of your previous post)

Let me settle this for you
Keep the D35 and the ABS
since you got the loot for a ARB and gears it seems that the budget is not a college student type funding

Get the Super 35 Kit

lifetime warranty on the axles ARB locker and way more axle strenght than you will need to run them 32's...specially if you are gonna wheel like you said
"but not really really hard climbing and rock crawling"

crap man youi bust one of those on 32's and I will change it for you

your welcome :lecture:

HA!
Yes finally a what F you need to do post that i can vibe on..
OK so yeah im running just shy of a 32 but with MT tires its a solid 32 so i had thrown that up there because thats a critical part..

ANYWAYS:
I had researched this BUT had not considered the ABS issue.
so having the eppifany that offered i realized quickly that keeping the 35 and doing the upgrades to it is really the only way to go..

I figure ill do as you mentioned with the super 35 kit or at least do gears and disk breaks in the rear [zj] and a locker in the front with gears and axles and then eventually do the S35 kit..
but man those ARB's are pricey but i would love the manual control...

and yeah i looked at the toyota axle but no thanks.
Im done...

aaron
BTW thanks for the Noob thread help LOL

kubtastic said:
good luck finding an 8.25 with ABS (very rare... or possibly non-existent.

I know its not a bolt on, but then again the 8.8 isn't either, but isn't the Liberty 8.25 ABS? That could be an option, and with as many that have been sold there have to be some in wrecking yards.

Just a thought--

I have looked into the liberty axles on car-parts.com for my area and it seams that some of the 8.25's are ABS enabled. The highest gearage for them is 3.73. they are around $800. :gag:

I am trying to DO SOMETHING OTHER THAN THE D35.

Still considering the ABS fix on the 8.8 and am having my friend and total JEEP FREAK look into it, So thanks for the links and info.

It seems easy enough to disable ABS on the trail so i would like to use it on the road still, as this is the family vehicle too.

anyways

I was looking forward to the 8.8 and now ive been thrown off course by this crap!
So i will try to figure it out and keep the post upadated for kicks and laughs for you guys....

Aaron

well after looking into the super 35 kit.. its expensive!
would still get tube flex and all that so im thinking the 8.25 but well see.
thanks
aaron

OK so let the "your a dumbass" begin....

I DO NOT HAVE ABS!!

Fuck man my ass freaking out over this shit..

So i bought the jeep used and since the guy i bought it from "TOLD ME" it had ABS i was a little sheep and believed him..
Having just now went out to the driveway and looked at the master fuse box
to just make sure that i actually have it because ive yet to lock my brakes up anyways... low and behold no fuses in the ABS solinoid slot and the ABS pump/motor slot..

jesus ive been trippin on this ...

well im stoked now that i can do the F8.8... guess ill have to deal with the phycological on the no ABS... :rattle:

anyways
thanks again for putting up with my crap guys..

aaron

Back