• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lining my Flares...

Starscream

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched around for info on what experience people have had with bedlining their flares, but so far I have found little to no helpful info.

I have seen people do it, but no one has really posted if it held up well.

I have my stock '96 flares and was going to just rattle-can them. It's cheap, seems easy, and if I screw it up, I can always go to something better- Herculiner, Line-X, what not...

I first checked at my local Line-X and for JUST the 4 flares they wanted $200+... yeah right...

So I read up on Duplicolor and things like it, and have seen mixed reviews.

Does anyone know how well it would hold up on the stock flare plastic?

Any tips are welcome.

Thanks,
David

I have the duplicolor lining the bottom of my doors, and it holds up ok... The Duplicolor on the body under the flare is scraping away just from the flare moving around. I haven't tried it on my flares so I can't give you a tip on how that would hold up, but if you scratch or flex your flares a lot I don't think it would hold up for long. For aesthetics it works fine though.

Foto4x4 said:
I have the duplicolor lining the bottom of my doors, and it holds up ok... The Duplicolor on the body under the flare is scraping away just from the flare moving around. I haven't tried it on my flares so I can't give you a tip on how that would hold up, but if you scratch or flex your flares a lot I don't think it would hold up for long. For aesthetics it works fine though.
Thanks.

Aesthetics is basically what it's for. I don't rub any (tires, trees, etc.), so I'm not too worried about that.

I used some Durabak on my flares about a year ago, and my last trip through the Rubicon finally did my rears in. Overall I weas happy with the performance as they stood up to several run in's with trees, rocks, etc. before they finally started peeling. My prep work was marginal at best, and perhaps with a little better prep, they would have lasted even longer.

If you take your time to prep the surface well, and if you dont acutally rub your flares on anything, the coating should last damn near forever.

Travis

As for how it holds up.... two and a half years ago my stock roof rack rails and cross bars looked like crap I got Thule cross bars and striped the stock powder coat off the rails and painted it will spray on duplicolor. It held up well and did not hardly fad at all ... one edge is starting to flake or peel. It don’t move the Thule bars so everything is stationary. I like the texture better than the unevenness of the herculiner I put on rockers, bumper and cargo area. Duplicolor spray on bed liner looked good for the price. It’s not in the same league as line x or rhino liner. But for $5-6 it was just fine and it looks great from 20 feet away, compared to the old rock chipped and faded chalky beat up powder coat.

I would just get black flares or paint them rattle can black.

I used the duplicolor on my flares, and it began chipping the day after I painted them. I did it properly, but just because the flares warp in the heat, it began chipping. What was weird was that there are some pieces of liner still on the flares. Most of it is all gone though...

If you just want to paint the flares black (or other colors) use krylon fusion

its a spray paint for plastics

its been a little over/under 2 years with one coat and a marginal prep job and the paints still good.

I did however ditch the flares to trim for bigger tars.......

Who needs flares anyways?

Let me know if you want some pics.

98 Xj of Death said:

its been a little over/under 2 years with one coat and a marginal prep job and the paints still good.

X2 look for the can that says "fender" or "trim" paint. I used it on my explorer flares an it's still on.

98 Xj of Death said:

Pics please. :)

And I do need flares, sadly. Law requires it (or so I'm told).

The reason I'm asking is because I have a friend who did this to his stock '97 flares and it looks good so far- been there for almost a year now and he wheels pretty hard.

If I don't like the duplicolor, I can always just strip it and herc/krylon it.

Thanks for all the replies. :wave:

go with krylon in the first place imho. do it right the first time.....
before: (sorry if the pics are huge)
DSCF0067.jpg

Shortly after repaint:
DSCF0086.jpg

After about 2 years.....:
DSCF0395.jpg

But last month the paint totally disintegrated them???
DSCF0437.jpg

Last edited:
Well I used Rubberized 3m undercoating and you Krylon them black before it dries and it has a really well adhering finished that is tough as hell after it dries all the way. That is the one area it is kind of a PITA. It takes a week at least to set up good enough for say rock rails. The flares weren't as big a deal because no one steps on those.
Rear%20Skid%20005.jpg

Rear%20Skid%20001.jpg

98 Xj of Death said:
But last month the paint totally disintegrated them???
MY GOD! That stuff must be pretty stout. :laugh3:

Thanks for the pics.

I've got some Krylon and Duplicolor, so I guess when I get ready I'll just have to decide...

boise49ers, that is pretty much what I want 'em to look like. Looks good. :thumbup:

Back