• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj soft top

mudagainstmachine

NAXJA Forum User
I was just curious if any one had thought about making there xj into a soft top. I've been thinking about the idea for awhile. Lots of people chop the top off. But in the snow or rain no canvas would suck. If any bodys done this conversion or has some ideas let me know.

mudagainstmachine said:
I was just curious if any one had thought about making there xj into a soft top. I've been thinking about the idea for awhile. Lots of people chop the top off. But in the snow or rain no canvas would suck. If any bodys done this conversion or has some ideas let me know.

It rains in Washington??? :laugh3:

You'll have to fab up your own soft top. I've seen people use blue tarps which seem to work good and are cheap. Call up Bestop and see if they can custom make you one with your measurements. That or just use a tarp for now if you cannot wait on cutting the top.

Troy

This local guy just got his finished:

143083234_l.jpg

143083399_l.jpg

Fatwreck: Were those made by Bestop? If not, by who? It looks pretty good and very custom with the snaps on the exocage. Isn't Bestop out in Colorado in Denver?

Big Red said:
Fatwreck: Were those made by Bestop? If not, by who? It looks pretty good and very custom with the snaps on the exocage. Isn't Bestop out in Colorado in Denver?

Bestop is in Colorado....just north of Denver.....but this top was made by a local company. I think he said it's called F&H and the top cost him about $600, but that's about all I know.

Anyplace that does boat covers & tops should be able to make a Jeep top.

Find a good shop that does convertables. Quality work ain't cheap, but mine is weathertight, in snow and rain. It uses a rail in the front and snaps around the edges.

Rev

fatwreck said:
Bestop is in Colorado....just north of Denver.....but this top was made by a local company. I think he said it's called F&H and the top cost him about $600, but that's about all I know.

Good info. That's not too bad considering YJ soft tops for that for the entire kit with hardware and canvas. I wonder if they could make some soft doors too like the YJ/CJ/TJ ones. It's hard to beat $5 for a tarp at Home Depot, but it looks cheap too, but does the job. :laugh3:

Back