• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

housing spreader

MENEZES

NAXJA Forum User
not really "advanced" fab or engineering but i tried this instead of spending 300 bucks. and it worked great.

spreader.jpg

I'll be the first to say it in this thread...

DOM is better than pipe!

to spread the housing as much as was needed. 1" x 8" Galv. steel pipe worked just dandy.

MENEZES said:
to spread the housing as much as was needed. 1" x 8" Galv. steel pipe worked just dandy.

I know, it was a joke. Its a recurring theme in cage fabrication discussions.

lol. alright.

Currious of what axle you were working on that you needed a case spreader? Couldn't have been that 30. The theory that pipe is for poop my fit well in this situation. :D

I haven't ever used a spreader though a 60 has been the largest I have worked on.

Later,
Lincoln

Needs triangulation.

Cool idea - filed for the future.

r@m

its for the dana 30.

well, my manual said u need a housing spreader so i built one. the backlash was almost nothin when i first put it back in so to take it out the second time i used the rag method and it worked GREAT, i couldnt believe it. so i ditched the housing spreader and just used a block of wood and a lead hammer to get the carrier back in. backlash this time was 8 thosanths and the pattern was perfect. im happy.

MENEZES said:
well, my manual said u need a housing spreader so i built one. the backlash was almost nothin when i first put it back in so to take it out the second time i used the rag method and it worked GREAT, i couldnt believe it. so i ditched the housing spreader and just used a block of wood and a lead hammer to get the carrier back in. backlash this time was 8 thosanths and the pattern was perfect. im happy.

:thumbup: Your learning.

I would have like to of heard a tighter back lash though. .006" maximum.

well, backlash for the dana 30 is supposed to be from 6-10, from what i have read. in the middle is good for me, but yea i would like a tighter backlash. If i feel up to it tomorrow, ill tackle it again and try for a tighter .006. And Jes, how did ur backlash increase like that? did the shims just wear down some how? newb question maybe? but im curious.

MENEZES said:
And Jes, how did ur backlash increase like that? did the shims just wear down some how? newb question maybe? but im curious.

A locker and 3 years of intense rock crawling.
The housing likely spread, permanently.

o wow. .007 is quite a bit of movement for a housing. 3 years locked, did it meet your expectations or exceed them. or not even come close lol.

nick

Several of us have seen the 30 spread. My dad's stock '95 YJ with very little 4x4 time had opened to .012. The housing seems to stretch and spread a lot.

Actually Jes's sounds really good to me. I'm kinda with Crash, the heavy OX cover has to help.

I've been setting them up around .003 and a hefty preload. Dad just checked his at .006 after about 1.5 years. I really like setting them tight with 4.88's.

o wow. .003? thats the backlash i first had but thought it was wayyyy too tight. from what ive heard i better got back and set it up real tight, nothin above .006. i knew the 30 was weak but not that weak...

MENEZES said:
o wow. .003? thats the backlash i first had but thought it was wayyyy too tight. from what ive heard i better got back and set it up real tight, nothin above .006. i knew the 30 was weak but not that weak...

Since it's a front housing I don't worry about it being tight. Just be real easy on it during break in. I like to run it about 25 miles, then cool completely. Depending on how tight I made it I might do that a few times. Then run about 100 miles and check the temp. The tight BL can cause heat to build quickly and overheating a new gear set can cause problems. I check the heat buildup often on break in with just a hand check. I feel for any spots getting "ouch damnit hot".

I set my 44's up at .004 front and back. We'll see how it works in the back. It's not building up excessive heat and I'm running 5.38's.

I would shoot for something around .004-.005.

Need to be careful with a spreader, you can spring the case. On a D60, I think it's 20 thou for the maximum spread.

Setting up at 3 thou and getting 6 thou a year and a half later is probably wear from heat expansion. Don't take this as fact, just my opinion.

Isn't going tighter than factory specs kind of like over torquing a bolt? I just don't understand the logic in this.

Back