• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need rough running troubleshooting help...

kee

NAXJA Forum User
To start off with. I have a ’96 XJ with the 4.0/auto… Lately I’ve been getting a check engine light for an 02 sensor voltage too high. The lights comes and goes and doesn’t seem to affect the way that it runs too bad… Today I’m driving in rush hour traffic and it starts to stumble on me, almost like a lack of fuel. It would sputter and start pinging and then pick up again and run right for a second and start sputtering again.

I limped it home this way and jumped in the older XJ and drove to work (let me tell you that no sway bars, aired down mud tires, manually shifted tranny, lifted, spongy brakes. and loose old steering is not a fun ride in St Louis rush hour!!!).

Anyway, if you have any ideas on the problem let me know. I think it seems like a fuel pump issue, but if there’s anything I can check to make sure or if I should try some other troubleshooting first let me know…

Thanks,

Jeremy

Do you have any other codes ? In my experiance when the fuel pump quit that was it-no movement until replaced.
Check the pick-up in the distributor a 5-4 code.
When was the last tune up on the motor,fuel filter change, etc. .
Wayne

I haven't found a code reader to check my current engine codes with. Usually I run by Autozone and have them read it and reset it. Last time it was a front O2 sensor high voltage error and that was it. I'm curious to know what the current codes are...

If it's an O2 sensor problem, can I unplug the O2 sensor to see if it runs any better? Any other ideas on what I can check?

You don,t need a reader.Turn the key -On-OFF-ON-OFF- On the "check engine light" will blink a code. 5-5 is end of code output.Count the blinks,IIRC the codes are repeated twice.
Try this and see what you get.
Wayne

Sounds like the fuel pump. I am pretty sure O2 sensor high voltage means it's leaning out. We had one recently same year and everything that you described it did and it turned out to be the fuel pump.

Berwolf said:
Sounds like the fuel pump. I am pretty sure O2 sensor high voltage means it's leaning out. We had one recently same year and everything that you described it did and it turned out to be the fuel pump.

Thank you... I was flipping through an FSM yesterday and found the tests for fuel pressure. I think I'll try that before I spend the money on an O2 sensor... I wouldn't mind having the fuel pressure gauges laying around in the future anyway :)

Back