• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wanting a few suggestions

havinfun79

NAXJA Forum User
So I just bought a '97 Cherokee 2WD a couple of weeks ago. When you turn the wheel all the way there's a sharp click sound-it happens only once. Then you can turn the wheel the other way & it may or may not make the sound. It doesn't happen all the time & it only happens when the wheel is turned all the way. My Step-dad thought it was the stock steel rim...so I bought another one from a junk yard. When he changed the rim, the sound seemed to not be as loud as before, but it still happens every so often. He's checked to see if there's any play in the wheels & there's not. He lubed the joints & that hasn't fixed the problem. Just wondering if anyone has had a problem like this & what should we look for? My mom wants me to take it to another mechanic to see if they can figure out the problem...I'm just hoping someone on here can give some advise first...It would save me some $-lol. Well, thanks in advance.

Forgot to mention, the Jeep was doing this when I got it. My dad also changed the front brakes/rotors(they needed it)...so that's not it.

Have someone watch the steering box for movement, there prone to work loose.

The cure is a aftermarket backup plate and new bolts.
Of course 2wd has struts so that could be it also.

Last edited:
langer1 said:
Of course 2wd has struts so that could be it also.
?????

The front suspension of a 2WD Cherokee is exactly the same as a 4WD Cherokee. What struts are you referring to?

Eagle said:
?????

The front suspension of a 2WD Cherokee is exactly the same as a 4WD Cherokee. What struts are you referring to?
What's in place of the D30?
I must be thinking of something else, it there just a tube then?

Last edited:
langer1 said:
What's in place of the d30?

What is commonly refered to as a dead axle. Looks damn near the same. Knuckles are the same as well as the Hub units. BUT it is, IIRC, a solid peice without the shape of the D30 Housing. Springs are the same, although spring tension , may vary. Shocks and calipers are the same.

Keep costs low( use as many parts in as many applications as possible), and profits high. Thats the way to make money. And jeep did a damn good job of it for awhile.

Back