• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick gearing question...

98XJSport

Destiny is the rising sun
Ok to start off, yes I searched. Many threads on the topic, none with a specific answer. What im trying to find out is what will I need to change besides the ring and pinion if i regear my 8.25 and D30 from 3.55s to 4.56s? Thanks in advance.

98XJSport said:
Ok to start off, yes I searched. Many threads on the topic, none with a specific answer. What im trying to find out is what will I need to change besides the ring and pinion if i regear my 8.25 and D30 from 3.55s to 4.56s? Thanks in advance.
The 8.25 doesn't require a new carrier so all you need is the install kit. You might want to take the opportunity though to install a locker while you've got it all appart.

OK, will the front need anything other than a typical install kit?

The front will need a new carrier. I believe 3.73 is the carrier break. Cheapest way to get one is to go to the junkyard and pull it from an XJ with a 4 banger and a 5 speed. That should have 4.10s in it.

Here's what you need:
Carrier at PORC

Ok does it make a difference that my 8.25 is a 29 spline?

i would get a master install kit for both, using old bearings and races might be a bad idea!if u plan on doin this yourself u will need to "modify" the chrysler ring gear a bit to allow the center pin to fit through carrier. You will need a tool, dont know what to call it but a tool (threaded rod with a nut on the end) so u can adjust the carrier adjusters.

For the Dana 30 u will need a housing spreader, they cost 300 bucks or u can make one like i did here:

spreader.jpg

and ofcoarse your dial indicator and micrometer. hope that helped.

Nick

lol. yea or that. haha

MENEZES said:
For the Dana 30 u will need a housing spreader, they cost 300 bucks or u can make one like i did here:

spreader.jpg

and ofcoarse your dial indicator and micrometer. hope that helped.

Nick
Housing spreaders are dangerous to the axle. Just use prybars to evenly pry it out and deadblow to put it back in. WHatever you do, do not use bearing caps to pull the carrier in!

yea, spreaders are dangerous. your only supposed to spread it .020 inch. make sure the spreader doesnt stay spread otherwise the u will distort the housing. im wondering how all you guys got the carrier out with hammers and pry bars. i tried this and it did not work. o well.

MENEZES said:
yea, spreaders are dangerous. your only supposed to spread it .020 inch. make sure the spreader doesnt stay spread otherwise the u will distort the housing. im wondering how all you guys got the carrier out with hammers and pry bars. i tried this and it did not work. o well.

Put a rag in between the ring gear and pinion, turn the ring gear with a wrench on one of the ring gear bolts to force the rag to get caught in the mesh between the ring and pinion, the carrier will fall right out.

damn.

Back