• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sye/ds?

planoxj

NAXJA Forum User
I read that I could use a stock XJ front DS in the rear w/ a hack and tap SYE. My question is that could I run the xj front DS with a real complete SYE kit...say the advanced adapters one? I got scared away from the hack and tap from numerous people...its not strong enough, etc...I'll be putting the RE 5.5" kit on soon and need to figure out what im gunna do as far as an SYE/DS. Thanks, James

Last edited:
I'm running the porc hd sye with an xj front shaft in my '96. Bolts right up.

HTH

ok would that work on my 98? don't see why it wouldn't...

Same t-case but I'm running the 8.25 axle in the rear.

If you have the same axle you will be fine.

HTH

planoxj said:
i have the D35...soo would i need some adapter?

The driveshaft will not be long enough due to the shorter pinion on the D35.

ok so i can't use a front DS in the rear at all then...or is there a solution to this problem other than getting a 8.25 lol?

I'm running RE HnT SYE with a front shaft in the rear. I have the 8.25 and about 6" measured lift in the rear and if the driveshaft was much longer it would be too long. I don't know how much shorter the d35 is but its a possibility it could work. And consider less lift will take a shorter shaft also.

Just a thought.

planoxj said:
ok so i can't use a front DS in the rear at all then...or is there a solution to this problem other than getting a 8.25 lol?

If the front driveshaft that you use is too short, take it to a driveline shop and have it tubed (lengthened) and re-balanced. If it is too long, they can shorten it.

I'm running the same set up, 5.5", 8.25, PORC SYE, and front driveshaft. If I were you I would try the front shaft in the rear and if it works cool, if not, I would not lengthen the shaft, but use that money towards a 97+ 8.25 or what ever axle you like. If it doesn't work you can still run it in the front and be front wheel drive.

ok...thanks for the input guys...im thinking i might just go tom woods and AA SYE from 4x4groupbuy.com...seems best/strongest choice.
Thanks, James

sorry for the double post

ok...thanks for the input guys...im thinking i might just go tom woods and AA SYE from 4x4groupbuy.com...seems best/strongest choice.
oh and by the way...when i order a TW shaft...do i need to measure anything or is there a certain length i need to buy..lol i should prolly know this.
Thanks, James

planoxj said:
oh and by the way...when i order a TW shaft...do i need to measure anything or is there a certain length i need to buy..lol i should prolly know this.
Thanks, James

It's best to install the SYE and measure yoke to yoke, in a straight line. However you can guess.

Mine was 33" driveshaft at 3" lift.

HTH

so your saying i have to buy the SYE and DS seperately? i wanted to buy them at the same time...this SYE/DS is prolly the biggest hassle i have ever had to deal with lol...

planoxj said:
so your saying i have to buy the SYE and DS seperately? i wanted to buy them at the same time...this SYE/DS is prolly the biggest hassle i have ever had to deal with lol...

I bought mine separately but then again I have another car to drive daily.

You don't have to buy separately though.

Perhaps TW can recommend a length, but every Jeep is different.

HtH

ok...some plans fell through and looks like i am gunna have to do it the cheap way. i am thinking the PORC SYE and stock front xj shaft and see if it works. will the front DS bolt right up to the SYE (and to the rear?), or will i need some adapter...will this still be considered a CV shaft or no? thanks guys

Back