• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bigest lift with factory control arms

xjdavid1 said:
How high can I lift the XJ and still keep the factory control arms. I am disconnected and do a lot of hard offroading.

id get or buy or make some after market stronger arms with a stocker - just for strength and so i dont worry when i drag them over a rock... JMHO...

xytrix01 said:
I'm at 4.5" and haven't changed the arms yet!

4.5" lift, stock CA's and drop brackets right? Otherwise i want to see how it sits w/ the stock CA's and no drop brackets. By guess is it would be sitting back far in the wheel well...

I am acually at 6" with stock control arms and no drop brackets. I do plently of wheeling(hard) and also is my DD. Yes the tire is further back than normal but I dont rub at all. I am also running 33's. The drive could be better but I am used to it and havent had any problems yet(been running for 2 1/2 years that way). Eventually I will go LA's but until I get them made I'll continue to run the stockers. I wouldnt recommend it to anyone though, but thats just me. I also drove it from arizona to kentucky that way in two days.

????

CamoXJeep said:
I am acually at 6" with stock control arms and no drop brackets. I do plently of wheeling(hard) and also is my DD. Yes the tire is further back than normal but I dont rub at all. I am also running 33's. The drive could be better but I am used to it and havent had any problems yet(been running for 2 1/2 years that way). Eventually I will go LA's but until I get them made I'll continue to run the stockers. I wouldnt recommend it to anyone though, but thats just me. I also drove it from arizona to kentucky that way in two days.

That thing must ride like a stiff brick. Do you ever get that feeling of your XJ wanting to drive over your front axle? Do you have any droop or are you there already? And finally, hows your alignment? I couldn't imagine bringing that set-up into an alignment shop around here, they wouldn't touch it. I mean I know it can and has worked, but DAMN. The highest I would og on stock arms in the stock location would be 3", after that you start to get into the death wobble and bind area of life.

Cut the stock control arms in half then weld spacers in. Buddy of mine used three 1/4" thick by 2" long plates for spacers for each control arm. Put the spacer plates in following the stock design of the control arm. Just make sure somone that knows how to weld does it, otherwise, the welds can break. Weld on the inside of the plate, and the outside for extra strengh. This guy has been wheeling hard on these control arms for a while now with no problems. He rolled his XJ about 3 weeks ago if that gives you an idea as to how hard this guy wheels. If done correctly, this method works just fine. Plus, if something does happen and the modified arms break,(which they wont if done right)you can pick them up a dime a dozen.

Brian

Last edited:
CartsXJ said:
That thing must ride like a stiff brick. Do you ever get that feeling of your XJ wanting to drive over your front axle? Do you have any droop or are you there already? And finally, hows your alignment? I couldn't imagine bringing that set-up into an alignment shop around here, they wouldn't touch it. I mean I know it can and has worked, but DAMN. The highest I would og on stock arms in the stock location would be 3", after that you start to get into the death wobble and bind area of life.

Actually no it doesnt ride like a stiff brick. And if it did its a Jeep, not a caddy. I have plenty of droop and my alignments just fine. Its all how you set it up. I dont know why people put there opinions of "it might, it could, my brothers dogs owners dad had done it and he said" if you have never done it yourself. If you have never done it then you really dont know do you? Not every set up is the same, different shocks, different leafs, different coils. Hell, I dont even run front or back sway bars for that matter. And yes I do wheel it pretty hard
Livingston2005029.jpg

This is me with all the above sitting on top of 39.5 Iroks. So yes it still does flex.
DCP_1026-1.jpg

This was in arizona
ygp190A.jpg

Heres another flex
15085.jpg

I personally ran reinforced stock LCA, and UCA's with RE DB's on Rusty's 6.5 coils. MY caster was only off 1*. Drove and rode great, but I am in the process of upgrading to LA's. Despite popular belief the stock arms are plenty strong, if reinforced. I finally realized this after I bent a stock lower arm on a rock. Kinda a scary ride home. After that point I carried spare LCA's and spare uppers.

Patrick

Back