• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C dead

xjpsych

NAXJA Member #657
The A/C on my 89 Laredo has died and needs replaced. I am not going to because the cost is too much. If I drive without turning it on, is there any danger of the compressor eventually locking up and causing problems?

xjpsych said:
The A/C on my 89 Laredo has died and needs replaced. I am not going to because the cost is too much. If I drive without turning it on, is there any danger of the compressor eventually locking up and causing problems?
You should unplug the compressor clutch wires to be safe.
Why is it shot? If you replace the bad parts yourself it can be repaired reasonably.

my 86 2dr has wimpy 2.8l V6 in it (out of an S-10 PU actually) and has a cast aluminum bracket for AC comp and alternator. It broke in two and when I removed it to Tig it, I discovered I could get alt. into AC pump spot... Also, my smog pump mysteriously became an alternator as well... Hmmm. (in mine its loc just under alt on pass. side of wind-up motor)

Back