• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shaved 60...Too Much?

skyjackerXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I milled down the bottom of my Dana 60, but now I'm thinking I took too much off. At the thinnest section, it's down to 1/4". I really should have asked and researched a bit more before I got giddy with the Bridgeport.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/235292443/400167771WwMjgM

My concerns are:

Am I going to have a problem with sealing the differential cover (the lowest bolt hole was milled through and I put another one approx. 1/2" next to it, and I milled the cover down a bit more to try to avoid the chance of it getting peeled back)?

How much did I disturb the strength of the housing? Should I be worried about deflection, cracking the housing, or somehow damaging the gears?

I've seen the bottoms of differentials milled and replaced with steel plate. Should I weld on a thin plate for good measure?

I got this axle for $60, so if it’s going to be a liability, I'll start over.

Opinions are appreciated. Thanks.

You haven't seen shaved till you've seen a OneTonXJ prepped 60.

Even the ring gear get's shaved when he's manning the Bridgeport!

Keep cutting, then weld in a 3/8" to 1/2" plate to cover the hole.

CRASH

CRASH said:
You haven't seen shaved till you've seen a OneTonXJ prepped 60.

Even the ring gear get's shaved when he's manning the Bridgeport!

Keep cutting, then weld in a 3/8" to 1/2" plate to cover the hole.

CRASH
you mean like this??? it's a 14bolt , but you get the idea...ring gear has been turned down also.

100_0117.jpg

100_0116.jpg

Yeah, I seen those kinds of shave jobs before; more than what I'm looking to do, I'm already in over my head with this full-width project. I was just looking to gain a bit more clearance, but is it possible for me to run into some type of problem down the road with only a 1/4" under the ring gear? Would it be okay for me to leave the housing the way it is, and move onto the next project?

Thanks guys.

skyjackerXJ said:
Yeah, I seen those kinds of shave jobs before; more than what I'm looking to do, I'm already in over my head with this full-width project. I was just looking to gain a bit more clearance, but is it possible for me to run into some type of problem down the road with only a 1/4" under the ring gear? Would it be okay for me to leave the housing the way it is, and move onto the next project?

Thanks guys.

We're just trying to show you that you can go a lot further. You shouldn't have a problem as long as your diff cover isn't 1/8" thick.
Billy

might it be hard to get a good seal with gasket maker?:dunno:

I wouldn't be worried about deflection, yet. I would be more inclined to believe you're going to crack the bottom of this thing considering how hard we drag over rocks from time to time. Mine essentially look like what jeepfreak21 has posted. I do shave the gears down on a od grinder. Also, I use 5/8 plate with a small portion milled out directly below the ring gear. It's only 3/8 thick at that spot, but it's cold roll not cast. Also, the cover gets seriously beefed around the bottom. Cut out the bottom 2" of your cover and replace that with some 3/16-1/4 for your bolts to hold onto and to keep the rocks from peeling up your cover. Also weld a ring gear gaurd to your cover, this helps in 2 ways (protection for the gear and helps prevent cover peel). I'd throw up some pics, but am currently photo hosting challenged right now. Maybe you should throw up some pics so we can help give you better criticism.

skyjackerXJ said:
What would you suggest I do?
Should I add some type of "skid" on the housing below the ring gear?

Thanks again guys.
I think adding a skid of sorts would be a good idea, BUT, if you're doing that, you might as well chop it farther and do like the whole bottom out of plate.

BrettM said:
I think adding a skid of sorts would be a good idea, BUT, if you're doing that, you might as well chop it farther and do like the whole bottom out of plate.

Was thinking the same thing...

Boy that's a lot of time at the milling machine; I used a fly cutter, is there anything that will work best with cast?

Thanks

i don't mean to hijack but do any of you guys have trouble with distorting the case when you cut the bottom off and weld a new one on any probs with gears not setting up right.

bj-666 said:
i don't mean to hijack but do any of you guys have trouble with distorting the case when you cut the bottom off and weld a new one on any probs with gears not setting up right.

That too was on my list of the next questions to ask. With so much of the original structure of the housing gone, and then the applied heat, is there a chance of warping the casting?

Back