• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange air compressor/backup light/reverse problem

rockethound

NAXJA Forum User
I took my heap to my local (not dealer) Jeep mechanic because my A/C quit blowing cold air. He said he traced a blown A/C fuse down to the fact that whenever you put the thing in reverse while the A/C is on, the fuse would blow. Also i have no backup lights. He is thinking it may be the NSS. can anyone confirm this or know where else to look?

The backup light switch is part of the NSS, so he may be on the right track, but I'd look for a bad ground somewhere in the backup light circuit. It might be in the wiring for the lights themselves. It's less likely to be in the switch than in the wiring. As I recall, the switch itself switches the ground circuit for the backup lights, so if anything at all happens when it is actuated, I'm pretty sure that it means the switch is working, but the circuit beyond it is bad. If the switch were not working, nothing at all would happen, and if it were shorted, it would simply leave the backup lights on all the time. A bad ground will cause the backup lights to seek ground through some other nearby circuit, such as the A/C compressor clutch, etc.

Edit: correction - I see from the 95 FSM that the backup light switch is on the hot side of the circuit, not the ground side. I still think that means that if it works at all it is not the switch that's at fault, but a bad ground somewhere else.

Last edited:
Back