• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Tow Hook

GudaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I recently got a rear tow hook and bracket assembly at the junk yard. I couldnt get the nut strip out, so I went and purchased some new grade 8 bolts. I was thinking now that i dont have the nut strip will it be a whole lot weaker than just bolting it to the frame. Does the nut strip act as some sort of anchor or extra bracing inside the frame rail or will i be okay with just using the new grade 8 bolts.

GudaXJ said:
I recently got a rear tow hook and bracket assembly at the junk yard. I couldnt get the nut strip out, so I went and purchased some new grade 8 bolts. I was thinking now that i dont have the nut strip will it be a whole lot weaker than just bolting it to the frame. Does the nut strip act as some sort of anchor or extra bracing inside the frame rail or will i be okay with just using the new grade 8 bolts.

The nut strip distributes the load over the inside surface of the frame rail, which is just thin sheetmetal. Bolting directly to it without the nut strip will result in frame damage and dangerous projectiles.

18$ from ChryslerDirect and they are alot closer to you than me.

I have made several sets its pretty simple to do 1" x 1/8" flat stock, cut to 13", lay under jeep and makes marks on steel to align with the frame holes, drill holes, run bolt through holes and put nuts on bolts, weld nuts to stock, back out bolts and install.

xjnation said:
I have made several sets its pretty simple to do 1" x 1/8" flat stock, cut to 13", lay under jeep and makes marks on steel to align with the frame holes, drill holes, run bolt through holes and put nuts on bolts, weld nuts to stock, back out bolts and install.
Theres no way you got all 5 bolts with that idea.The factory bracket is 3 dimesional to accodate the "jog" of the front bolt,2 raised areas for the muffler bracket and to "jump" over the rear sheet metal for the rear bolt.This equates to a piece 1-1/2" wide.

Last edited:
Back