• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana44 Swap - Brake Drum Question

xjralfy

NAXJA Forum User
Slowly moving forward w/ my D44 Swap. Ideally I'd like to put in disk brakes but for now I was wondering if i could reuse the Entire brake drum assembly out of my existing Dana35? I've heard varying opinions. I was getting ready to buy all the parts new for the 44 then came across this write-up:

TJ D44 Swap

I know being a TJ it might be different, but I thought I'd throw the question out another time before I throw money at Napa.

Thanks

--------------
4.0L, Auto, NP231, D30/35, 3.54's (Rear D44, 4.56's and a NoSlip in progress)
3.5" Rubicon SF, Flowmaster 40, Safari Roof Rack, Cobra CB w/ FireStick, JKS Discos, 31" Mudders, C4x4 Rock Sliders, ToysByTroy Diff Guards, Trimmed & Flarless Fenders

If it's a D44 from an XJ The wheel cylinders and small hardware are interchangeable but the drums and shoes are smaller and might be underpowered for larger tires (33's) I'm not sure about other D44's.

You can swap the complete brake assembly from a D35 over to a D44 but you have to modify the backing plate. The center hole is slightly too small to allow the axle/bearing to fit through the center. The center hole size and location isn't critical so it could be "hogged" out.

The D44 drums are 10 x 2.5 while the D35 drums are 10 x 1.75, so you are better off going with the D44 stuff. You'd get new shoes anyway, and no guarentee that the used drums would be good, so get new drums. Now, if you don't have backing plates, that's another story since the cost will go up a bit more, so an inexpensive choice would be to use the D35 stuff. Sort of defeats one of the benefits of the bigger axle, though.

87 to 90 D44 & 35 are interchangeable (bolt on - NO modifications). Some D35 had 10 X 2 1/2 (my 89 from the factory) and some had 10X 1 3/4. same with the D44 - I've had 2 44's here at same time 1 - 2 1/2 and 1 -1 3/4
on a Laredo with light duty towing pkg? You just need to check the parts yards - the 2 1/2" can be on any 87 - 90!

rsalemi said:
87 to 90 D44 & 35 are interchangeable (bolt on - NO modifications).
Actually they're not. My D44=87' & the D35=01'. The bolt holes on the 35 Backing plate don't match up w/ Axle housing studs on the 44.

Last edited:
rsalemi said:

xjralfy said:
rsalemi said:
Actually they're not. My D44=87' & the D35=01'. The bolt holes on the 35 Backing plate don't match up w/ Axle housing studs on the 44.
Bob did state, very plainly, that 87 to 90 D44 and D35 parts are interchangeable. Your '01 has the smaller 9" drums and is a c-clip axle, so it isn't related to what Bob wrote.

The only catch is that you have to use the backing plates that match the drums, because the offset is slightly different. I tried just putting D44 drums on my '88 XJ with the D35 axle and the back flange of the drums bound up on the backing plate before the center section was seated on the hub.

Back