• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering and 5spd shifter questions

cykaaro

NAXJA Forum User
I just got my '89 Laredo 5spd. home, so will begin the slow process of restoring it. I've been listing things that I need to get and do on it, so I can begin to methodically go through it from to back.
I'm officially the 3rd ower, and I personally now the original owner, and was in immaculate condition when it was sold to her relative. Well, it's not so immaculate now!:rattle: Please bear with me, but I've not touched either of these yet so total newbie questions for many.

There's a couple things on my list I'm unsure of how to go about doing [steering column] and what to do about the shifter.
The steering column at some point has been switched out. In the process of doing it, the new column didn't have cruise control. I'm going to start searching for a new one so I can put the cruise control back in. How hard is it to do this? as I've not dealt with a steering column before. What kinda of special tools will it require if any? And is there a good how to write up on how to do this? Just don't want to screw something up in doing this. I figure it should be plug and play for the most part? And what years are interchangeable?

With the shifter, she was telling me it was in really bad shape compared to how it should feel. I find that when testing it, that the whole arm can pivot left/right quite a bit. I've never had a manual before, so this is an ultra newbie question, but is this a simple case of tightening up a bolt to keep it from doing this? As for the shift box it self, should I have it replaced? Should I have it overhauled or rebuilt? Should I grab one from a wreckers, and rebuild that one? Is the a seperate piece from the transmission? or is it seperate from it?

Thanks for the patience, and any help, info, etc that can be shared.
cykaaro

Back