• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stupid Newbie Shock Poll

What shocks would you run?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

GI-John

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I need a new set of front shocks, and would like your opinion on what you run. I'm past the "waste your money" es 3000 and their clones, and would like a good all around shock. I've narrowed it down to these choices, please vote, and explain your choice.

Thank you.

John

Last edited:
Bilstien_____?Theres a big difference in price and adjustabilty.

5100/5125

To simplify this, I'd say, anything monotube. For the most part, anything monotube is higher quality. Of the ones you mentioned, Bilstein is the only monotube. There are a lot more factors involved, but I think if you look around at whats available, you'll find the monotubes are all highend shocks. Figure on spending around 65+ per shock, but you get what you pay for with shocks. I've run factory gas shocks, which are monotube, and Bilsteins, and Edelbrocks, and all performed well. None of the cheap twin tube or triple tubes that I've driven in other Jeeps impressed me at all.

ome, i rode in a tj lifted 4" that had those and it rode better than a stock tj

Are only stupid newbies allowed to take the poll?

pcp-dude.gif

(he lived....)

I hope this helps. On my 93XJ I have OME shocks AND springs. Fricken EXCELLENT performance both on and off road! It just soaks up and dances over most anything. I dont slow down for dips in the road anymore, really, because its way more fun to "Dance" right across them, and speedbumps might as well not even be there. It is very flexy when I have the swaybar disconnected, and keeps the tires on the ground very well thru the rocks, dirt, mud, and sand. The only thing is, is that OME only offers about three inches of lift even with the severe duty rate springs like I have, so youll have to do the extendoshackle and spring spacer thing if you want to go higher than that. RE would be my next choice. A friend of mine has 5.5 set up on his XJ with RE shocks, and I must say it is also excellent both on and off road. My next setup will be RE when I finally decide that four inches of lift isnt high enough.

Running RS9000's. You can't beat the adjustability. On One it is nearly smooth on the highway. Stiffen them up a bit for the ride to work, and you can get rid of some of that roll....I likem, and plan on adding the incab controller for easier adjusting! This is my 3rd set on 2 different trucks.

I love my OME shocks. Have nothing to compare to other than stock, but now with my RE 3.5 it rides better than bone stock..... my wife did not believe me till she rode in it.... now she EASILY agrees (and she would rather not agree if its about the jeep)

Good luck.
Jason

kid4lyf said:
Are only stupid newbies allowed to take the poll?
BrettM said:
yes, now go ahead
Cool.
King 4" coilovers in the front with stock ZJ shocks in back.
Freakin awesome ride.

The rancho rs 9000's are okay when you first get 'em, but after afew years, the adjustment knobs freeze up. Had this happen on a set of mine, and a friend's.

Other: RE Doetch Tech Cheap and do the job. Best ride, but more expensive would be OME.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back