• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fog light fix (89)

katarn444

NAXJA Forum User
My fog lights have not work for years so I decided to tackle the job today. I used the FSM and its diagnostic procedure. First I checked the lights themselves by plugginf them directly into a battery. Both worked fine.

Next I went to the relay near the air intake. The electrodes were very corroded so I cleaned them up but that did nothing. Then I made sure there was 12v at the relay which there was. Then I discovered I was not getting the 12v signal from the switch. I have read about a lot of people having problems with these switches. I opened up the dash and it was indeed the switch that went bad.

I said "what can go wrong with a switch". I assumed the contacts were gummed up so I jammed a probe from my multimeter and scaped it around. That was the problem. The switch works perfectly now. I did however have to resolder the contacts for the illumination light back on but that was super easy.

So the moral is, if you switch has gone bad, it is probably just dirty.
Hope this can help somebody out.
I will post a pic tomorrow so you can see what I am talking about.

Katarn

Last edited:
Congrats on bringing your lights back from the dead. However, if you didn't open up the lights themselves during your troubleshooting I'd suggest you do so. Check the condition of the insulation on the spade connectors inside, one on our '89 wore through, shorted to the case and caused a major electrical fire. Well worth the insurance to check them out. Rebuilding wiring harnesses is no fun.

Back