• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stock steering and 8"lift

jephs422

NAXJA Forum User
My RockKrawler lift with Clayton hard arms is going on this week. I am waiting for a specific steeing set-up, so until it is ready, I have to run the stock set-up. I was wondering if ths is going to be a problem? I am swapping the D30 for a D44 and running 35" tires. Is there anything I should be careful of? I have a 5" drop Pitman that I am going to use.

remember that your drag link has the be parrelel to you track bar, so if you use a 5" pitman arm drop (which is insane) you have to move you track bar 5" up at the axle end

i ran stock steering with 8" rock crawler for about 2 weeks and then my drag link snaped going down the road (not fun) i all so got really bad DEATH WOOBLE. But then again i have a friend that is runing stock steering with a rusty's 8" and the only problem he has is his tierod ends hit his sway-bars in full turn

Actually, the steering I am waiting for is RockKrawlers new design. It should be ready soon and Jeremy swears that it will be worth the wait. I was going to use their HD steering now, but he told me to wait.....so I wait.

Is his new set-up going to allow you keep the sway bar? Thats the reason I haven't got the RK streering yet, mines still a DD and I want to keep the swaybar.

BTW..the rest of my front end is RK.

with a 5" DPA, and the trackbar angle to match, it will be fine for the street, but I wouldn't wheel it.

if you're going to a D44 front, why bother with XJ steering conversions!?! One of the big advantages of a D44 is better steering options; go highsteer.

knuckle_kit.jpg

I'll be wheeling it every weekend. Am I pretty much screwed with this set-up? I'd like to run a high steer, but I how much are those knuckle gonna run me? I can make my own tie rod and drag link, and I already have all the parts for the "ram assist for under $100.00" conversion that I saw on here.

What if I just do a knuckle over?

bigwillxj said:
There is a place here in NC that builds a real good steering conversion for cherokees. It was in four wheeler or peterson's i cant remember. But the place is called Downeast offroad and their website is www.downeastoffroad.com.
I almost bought this kit one time.

When I didnt know any better. A thousand dollars for a d30 steering conversion is ridiculous. I can buy a hp44, AND set it up with steering for that price.

A knuckle over will net you about 2.5" of lift for the steering arms IIRC. Easy to figure, just grab a tape and imagine the rod ends on top of the knuckle instead of below!

I ran stock steering linkage with 6" for over a year, combined with RE's HD track bar. It worked just fine and I wheeled the holy living crap out of that thing. With a knuckle over setup with stock components (with the drag link cut and rotated to sit on top of the knuckle of course) you'd be running the same angles as an XJ with about 5.5" of lift. Add a couple inches of drop pitman arm and you'll be lookin good. Just drop/raise an end of the drag link an equal amount to avoid bumpsteer, as mentioned above.

Jared:patriot:

I know I'm going to catch alot of crap for this but I run 6.5" rockkrawler coils with a 1 3/4" spacer with stock steering and It does just fine

XJ_ranger said:
here is a good page explaining steering geometry:
http://www.bulletproofsteering.com/geometry.html

so with that 5" DPA you need to do something about the trackbar...

RUSTYS makes a drop trackbar mount and JKS makes an Over Axle Bracket for the axle end...

i personaly have a JKS OAB in my garage and it is the best piece of workmanship metal on my front dana44

well I just got off the phone with Jeremy at RockKrawler, and he says the new steering is going to be designed for the 5" drop Pitman. So, I guess I'll go ahead and run it, and wait for the new steering from them...

ive been running a stock steering with an 8 inch lift for over a year, i wheel it almost everyday with no problems at full flex. the only problem i have is really bad death wobble at 45. ive got the drop track bar but i think i shouldnt have the death wobble once i get a drop pitman.

Man...I got the lift on and the axles swapped. I had to run a coild spacer to get the front end up a bit more, but it came out really nice. As far as the steering goes, ...I really need to buy some. the stock steering toes in and out real bad because of how high it is sitting, and I'm prtty sure that as soon as I take it offroad, I'm gonna snap a tie rod end.

when I have it alignd, is there anything special I should do so it will at least be driveable int he meantime until I get the new stering?

pics....i'd like to see these angles.

Back