• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

UCA removal challenges

Dazz

NAXJA Forum User
I'm attempting to remove the stock Upper Control arms and I'm having some difficulty removing the two remaining bolts holding the arms to the frame mount.
I can't seem to get the right size socket to fit the bolt (what size is this bolt, I tried 14mm, 15mm and 9/16" with no luck), I'm unable to turn it or even hammer it out. :mad:

629200310816AM20600.jpg

The bolt seem seized, I already lost one socket head from it falling inside the sub-frame rail. :banghead:
629200310849AM63760.jpg

Anyone else had the same challenges that I'm when removing the UCA for the first time?
Any tips or help is appreciated!

IIRC, I had the same problem when I did mine.

The picture shows that it's tack welded to a piece of steel. That little piece allows you to just spin the nuts off (the other side) without having to put a socket or wrench on it.

You should be able to rotate the bolt/metal thingy until it lines up with the hole, then gently tap it out.

John

Any idea what size bolt that is, as I mention i tried all sort of socket and none seem to fit. It appears to be rounded off?

Like John Boy stated, the tab tack welded to the bolt allows the bolt to spin until it stops. You don't need a socket for the bolt head, as you really aren't unscrewing it. At this point, you appear to have the nut(s) removed. Place a nut on the end of the bolt until it's flush with the bolt end. This will protect the threads at the end when you smack it with a hammer. It should tap out rather easily. Once is moves, just rotate the bolt until the tab lines up with hole, and remove it the rest of the way. It helps too if the front end of the CA's aren't attached to the axle, so as to remove any load from the bolt. Worst case scenario if the bolts won't hammer out, then it probably means that it is siezed to the CA bushing. If so, you'll have to saw the siezed bolts off and replace them. When reinstalling, be sure to coat the bolts and nuts with anti sieze compound so removing them in the future will be easy.

Ivan

Its a 10mm bolt w/ a 15mm head.Yeah its pretty well rounded do to pressing on the tab.Youll need a good 6-point socket to get a bite on it.Hopefully your arms came with new bolts!

Back