• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drive Belt Dilemma

uvaldetxj

NAXJA Forum User
I recently fixed my air conditioning system. I had many things replaced including the drive belt. I'm having this God awful sound when I turn on my a/c and rev the engine. It doesn't last for long, but i'd really like to eliminate this. I've searched and come up with the conclusion that be drive belt is loose. After looking over my manual, I noticed that i'm missing the two bolts behind the p/s. I tightened up my belt a bit, anyways. It didn't solve the problem. I'm going to put those two bolts in tomorrow. Anyone here have any pointers? I'd like to know if there's anything else I could do while i'm at it. It really sucks having that sound come on at random.

1987 XJ 4.0 NP231 D44 AW4

I think those bolts are metric - so check before you try to ram them in.

Having those bolts missing would probably cause a slight misalignment of the power steering pump, where the belt would not make contact all the way across the pully. Generally, when a belt is going to screech, it's going to do it at the power steering pump pully.

When you put those bolts in (again, check. I'm tempted to think they're 8m/m, but I've not checked yet,) make sure that the pully has not been glazed by the slipping belt. Any glazing can usually be removed using Scotch-Brite or fine emery or crocus cloth - a glazed belt should be replaced outright.

5-90

Back