• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with loud noise underneath...

apex factor

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all, first off sorry for being a newb and my first post being a help me thread.

I know this will be hard to diagonse and I did do searches for this.

It's a 96 sport auto with 120k the noise can't be heard in park or while coasting in gear at low speeds (under 5mph) and I would best describe the sound as a clacking. The noise is loud and noticeable even on the freeway. The clacking sound does get faster with speed. I haven't had a chance to get underneath and look, but the jeep seemed to drive normally and did make it back fine regardless of the noise (5 hour drive).

thanks in advance,

-Matt

I´ve had nails and screws in my tires, that were most noticeable at speed, barley heard them at slow speeds.

hard to tell without hearing it. Could be a bad u-joint or brake issue. Put it on jackstands or a lift if you have access and turn the wheels. That should identify the problem fairly quickly.

Axle U joints are often most noticeable at slow speed and around corners, gets worse in 4X. U-joints at highway speeds are often a vibration.

Back