• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing rear leaf springs -> adjustment problem

schmiedel

NAXJA Forum User
I'm lifting my truck and I got a set of lift leaf-springs; I already installed one of them, but I just can't get the nut on the spring to align to the hole on the axle (in order to reinstall the ubolts). The difference is small, about 0.5 in, but I just can't make the thing align. What would you recommend to do to make things easier?

I don't think it's important in this case, but it's a 1988 XJ.

Last edited:
Sounds like you axle has just shifted forward a bit. Not unusual ...

If it is about a half inch off, try this. Hook a ratchet strap to your axle and anchor the other end to something solid (another vehicle if you are doing this outside). Ratchet the axle back enough that the center pin lines up with the hole in the spring perch. Jack the axle up to seat the perch and leaf pack. Install the U-bolts.

HTH

Les

Well, I was able to do it by hand; I had the other side on the floor, so when I lifted it and removed the wheel, the axle was just easier to deal with; I hadn't lifted the other way because I wanted to do the other side after moving the truck (to maniobrate easier, but now I did it this way...

Back