• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headliner Replacement...

Culinary_Hooligan

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone replaced their worn headliner with another type of fabric other than the ultra thin ratty material normally used?

I've got to replace mine, and found some nice vinyl urban camo material that would match the interior nicely...
but was wondering if anyone has any experience with vinyl for the headliner....

wondering if weight of the material would be a problem, since the vinyl is a bit hefty...

also, what type of glue was use? I know spray adhesive, but any brands work better than others?

Just pull it down and sray paint camo on the under side. That would be easier. Wouln't it? LOL

Culinary_Hooligan said:
Has anyone replaced their worn headliner with another type of fabric other than the ultra thin ratty material normally used?

I've got to replace mine, and found some nice vinyl urban camo material that would match the interior nicely...
but was wondering if anyone has any experience with vinyl for the headliner....

wondering if weight of the material would be a problem, since the vinyl is a bit hefty...

also, what type of glue was use? I know spray adhesive, but any brands work better than others?

You would never find anything that would stick to vinyl good enough to hold it up.
Oh and you can use Latex paint directly on the foam and get any effect you want.

Last edited:
The adhesive they use to glue down vinyl flooring ought to hold it up there.

I'm planning on adding a layer of fiberglass onto the old backing to give it some strength....

I was just unsure of the vinyl and the gluing of said vinyl.

I did my head liner with a tan vinyl. I used 3M headliner glue and it has been on for over a year now with no sagging or pealing of the back board.

I acutally like it much better than a stadard headliner because I can wash it :laugh3:

My headliner is due for a fix also. I had an '84 Renault Aliance that needed a new headliner also. Instead of fabric I used gray granite speckled paint. It worked very well and matched my gray interior. I might do the same with my XJ.

Also with my notes on headliner replacement a recommendation of applying fiberglass resin on the headliner board before gluing fabric was suggested. Don't know if that is overkill?

I got a headliner replacement kit for my XJ from www.jcwhitney.com about 2 years ago. It has the same felt material as the OEM, but instead of glueing to the board it uses metal bows to hold it up (like the older cars used to use) It took about an hour to install and looks great. 2 years and no sagging!!!

I'm gonna have to hijack this thread, sorry.

I have all kinds of questions for Bill.

I need to do a headliner replacement too this summer and figured it was gonna be a really "interesting" project because the PO put in an aftermarket/custom power sun roof and cut the backing up N stuff.

You wouldn't happen to have some pics of it installed, particularly up by the windshield. How far apart are the bows?? Especially starting from the windshield. On the install, do you start from the front or the rear??

thanks

As far as the vinyl being too heavy it won't be a problem. If you could find a shop in the area that put on landeau tops that glue will hold. I used it exclusivly for 5 years when I was installing sunroofs that required making new headliners.

Kurt

Hey There Wrong.
I don't have any pics, but I'll take some and post them or email them to you. I will also measure the distance from the windshield and between the bows (sorry I don't remember right now, it was 2 years ago and I'm gettin' old!!!) I can tell you that I started from the front and worked my way back. Several years ago, I put a manual sunroof in my Honda Accord that had bows in it and had to remove one for the install. It didn't cause any problems at all. I'm sure there is a way to work around your power roof. One of the advantages of this kit is that you install it without removeing your old headliner, so you can use it as a pattern.

Thanks Bill

I replaced the headliner in my last XJ, but this one is gonna a little more difficult because of the power sunroof.

The power roof mechanism sits about 4" lower than the rest of the roof, not to mention the hole there.

Chances are it is an aftermarket sunroof. the trick it to cover it like you would normally only around the hole you want to leave the glue edge back at least 4" If yo lived closer I would give you a hand. To determine if it is aftermarket look for the name Hollandia (best in the aftermarket) Webasto or ASC on the glass or switch. If it is you will install the headliner as normal (leave the opening solid material) then make an x cut where the opening is. Put a little glue on the edge of the sunroof opening and spray some onto the headliner material. you will pull all the wrinkles out through the sunroof opening. Good luck. One of these days I need to do a right up on this stuff.

Kurt

Back