• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no inside light when i open the door

stu's jeep's

NAXJA Forum User
replaced all bulbs new door switch's is it possible bad headlight switch???? i have a test light that tests ground and power,, door switch's ground as they should,, b piller lights have power but the 2 out side leads :rattle: :rattle:

The circuit for courtesy lights when you open the doors doesn't need the headlight switch, so that wouldn't be the problem.

Do you have power to the overhead light? The door post switches are in the ground circuit, so the light should be hot at all times. Take off the lens and probe both contacts for the bulb. If one of them isn't hot, you need to look upstream -- between the light and the battery.

If one is hot, put a probe on the other one and ground it. The bulb should light. If it does, then start following the ground wire and look for a open (not a short) somewhere between the light and the door switches.

I don't have a '96 FSM but I do have '94 and 2000. Give me a call if you want to bring it over and play "find that wire."

Do any of the interior lights come on or just the courtesy lights??? I took my XJ for a swim awhile back and had the same problem (amongst many others) and it turned out to be a bad ground. What year is your Jeep? I have a '98 FSM if it helps as well.

Same problem myself recently. Mine was caused by brake fluid from the clutch master cylinder leaking down onto the fuse block. Lots of crud had built up between the fuse and the sockets interupting the connection. Check the fuse first to see if power is coming into the block and go from there.

Back