• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

12.50s on a 7" wheel?

robbieyukon

NAXJA Forum User
anyone running a 12.5" tire on 7" wheels? i dont feel like buying new wheels b/c these have the correct BSP to run a tire that wide. any problems?

Will a tire shop even mount a tire that wide on a 7" rim? I always thought 10.5" tire was the rule of thumb for max width on a 7" rim. Seems like you might ruin the tire due to a funky wear pattern with the sidewall rolled over like that.

HotDog! said:
Really the narrowest wheel you want to mount a 12.50 wide tire on is a 8". 7" is going to be too prone to losing the bead when aired down, IMHO.

I agree that a 12.50 should be mounted on a 8" rim but actually a narrower rim will hold the tire better when aired down. But the tire will be really "bubbled" when aired up.

A 15x8 with about 3.75" bs would be the best rim to run with a 12.5 on an XJ.

One important factor is being left out. How tall is the tire? The taller the tire, the narrower the rim you can run. For example, if you were trying to make a 31x12.50 (do they even make that?) fit on a 7" rim, you'd have one hell of a sidewall angle and even worse would be trying to get and keep that tire on the rim.

On the other hand, if you were wanting to run a 37x12.50 MTR or the like, I'd say youd be fine, due to all the extra sidewall you have to work with. It wouldnt be as severe of an angle from shoulder to bead. I'd say you'd be okay with a 35x12.50, but a 33x12.50 would be a little iffy. Doable maybe, but pushing it.

ive got a 33x12.50 on a stock 15x7. Have not had to use it yet...

robbieyukon said:
anyone running a 12.5" tire on 7" wheels? i dont feel like buying new wheels b/c these have the correct BSP to run a tire that wide. any problems?
A 12.5 on a 7" rim would be ok off road but be could be very hard to control on the highway.

i run 35/1250/16 on a 16x7 on a superduty without a problem. And i ran 33/1250 on stock jeep wheels for a long time without a problem at about 8 psi. I think a 35/1250 on a 15x 8 is perfect, so go from there.

For example, if you were trying to make a 31x12.50 (do they even make that?)

I've got 31x12.50 X-terrains on 15x10 MT classic 2's :laugh3: not the best choice for hardcore trails though

Back