• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Getting new axles.. have some questions

Jeremy

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so, I was made an awesome offer on some axles that I just can't refuse, so my goal is to get them on the comanche. So anyway, they are as follows:

Donor: Ford F250
Front: Low pinion D44 with manual lockouts, disc brakes
Rear: D60 full floater, drum brakes
4.10 gears

So, my first question is, how wide are these suckers? (I don't have them yet, or I'd go measure them myself). The two common widths I've come across are 67" and 69". But just curious to find out before committing on anything.

Second, is the low pinion 44 going to be a problem?

I'm more of a TJ person, so my knowledge with these vehicles is a bit limited (thus my stupid questions :) ) If these axles will work, what kind of snags am I looking at running into besides the obvious work it is going to take to get all of the bracketry welded on?

Any other guidance or information regarding this would be helpful. Thanks

Take a look at ForeWheelers rig up in Grayling next weekend.
He has a wide axle set up.

I wouldn't worry about the low pinion deal to much. There are plenty of folk running 'em without problems.

Good to know. I know the 30 would probably be plenty, and not a whole lot is gained from a LP 44, but since they got the same gears and width as the rear, might as well just do them both at the same time.

And I will check his out, thanks :)

You should buy my HP D44. You will hate the low pinion (j/k). :D

Beware!

Those Ford LP 44's have pinions pointed almost straight at the ground! They are seriously some of the lowest pinion axles I have ever seen on a truck.

They came out of Fords with divorced transfer cases. (Transfer case is seperate from tranny, connected to it with an additional tiny driveshaft) They have looooong front drivelines so the pinion angle needed to be extra low to kill the vibes.

Anyways, check it out thoroughly before you buy, it is a HECKUVA lot lower than the HP D30 you enjoy now.

Thanks for the heads up. Considering what I'm buying is essentially a rolling chassis of a F250, I'm getting both axles, wheels, tires, frame, etc... all for less than the D60 alone would probably cost. So even if the 44 isn't all that good, I would still come out ahead :D

But that is good to know so I can look into it before deciding what to do exactly. Thanks :)

Those full floater D60's are a dime a dozen.......read cheap!

You don't have anything special there, so make sure it all fits into your overall buildup plans for your rig before you spend the money. If you want full width axles, and don't have much money to regear, getting a matched set of axles might be just what you're looking for. Otherwise, they could be more trouble than they're worth.

What is the HP44 out of?

78' Bronco, want to go full-width?? I even have the radius arms built already. :eek:

Back