• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what lift to buy?

montysbxj

NAXJA Forum User
i just bought my first xj and first jeep for that matter and loving every minute of it. (specially pulling my buddies out in there gms and fords) i am just wondering what the best lift is out there. i have 31 x1050 tires to go under it and i know i have to do a 3.5 at least but wondering what brand is best for everything in generall because i still have to drive it every day and play on weekends thanks.

a 3" kit will do for 31x10.50's on stock wheels. How much do you want to spend? Rough Country sells for dirt cheap on ebay. ($300-350 range) most have shocks included.

Rusty's or Rubicon Express are the two most popular brands, and the highest quality. Search it and you will find tons of information on the two companies.

3" lift is plenty for 31's...

If you scroll up to the top of this page till it wont scroll any higher, and find the dead center of your screen, there's this little thing about 1" up and 2.5" over to the right, give or take. It will be white text in a reddish brown color with a down arrow to the right of it... it will say "Search". Click that, and then proceed as directed.

:wave:

Best ride, but the most expensive is OME. RE is good but you pay a little more. With 31's, you need 2-3" on the street and maybe 3-4" if you wheel it and flex it out. You can get RC cheap 3" lift with aal, shocks, 3" coils for $225. I had this list with my 1st XJ and it wasn't bad and very streetable. Try to spend a little more and get full leaf packs instead of aal and some better shocks.

If you want to get complicated, get rusty's 3" coils, Big Offroad Leaf springs and shackles of your choice, OME shocks and some RE control arms. Bastard lift, but it'll last you a long time, and it'll ride great

Jeepkid8037 said:
Rusty's or Rubicon Express are the two most popular brands, and the highest quality. Search it and you will find tons of information on the two companies.

3" lift is plenty for 31's...
Well, youre close.

RE does make a proven, quality line of parts. Rusty's on the other hand... well I would just suggest you read up a little on the reputation of Rusty's parts when used on jeeps that actually see trails. I wouldnt quite dub them "high quality".

3 inches is not "plenty" of room to run 31's. It is sufficient if you use the stock backspaced rims, a narrower tire, and proper bumpstops. 31's on anything less than 4" backspacing however (which most aftermarket wheels are) can and will grab your fender flares and may tear them clean off, depending on the aggresiveness of the tire lugs. As will anything wider than a 10.50".

Im just stating this to help emphasize that tire fitment and lift choice isnt just a no brainer, hit and miss subject. There are many other factors that play into what will and will not work on your rig. :)

i have heard that RE is the best lift to buy. there are several guys i have known for a while and am talking to about this that have wranglers and say that re is what to buy and to stay away from RC because it is so ruff. i wont be doing alot of off roading, maybe some mudding here and there and a little trail riding but it is mostly to pull my quad through the fields and woods to where i ride, i apprecate all the impute, i will do leaf packs and stay away from the aal's. is there anything tha ti need other than what comes in the kit to do the 3.5 RE lift or is it all there, i know i may need to drop the transfer case but other than that anything?

ArcticXJ said:
Well, youre close.

RE does make a proven, quality line of parts. Rusty's on the other hand... well I would just suggest you read up a little on the reputation of Rusty's parts when used on jeeps that actually see trails. I wouldnt quite dub them "high quality".

3 inches is not "plenty" of room to run 31's. It is sufficient if you use the stock backspaced rims, a narrower tire, and proper bumpstops. 31's on anything less than 4" backspacing however (which most aftermarket wheels are) can and will grab your fender flares and may tear them clean off, depending on the aggresiveness of the tire lugs. As will anything wider than a 10.50".

Im just stating this to help emphasize that tire fitment and lift choice isnt just a no brainer, hit and miss subject. There are many other factors that play into what will and will not work on your rig. :)

I used Rusty's parts on many trails. The only parts that crapped out were the leafs, and I still use his coils which ride great.

i have rustys leafs and they ride good and flex well but are a bit too soft, gonna throw in an extra leaf to strengthen them. re coils up front and there great. rustys skidplates are pieces of junk btw

Back