• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No gears for strokers?

INI SLDR

NAXJA Member #1347
Just wondering if anyone is running 33's with stock gears ( 3:55 )and a stroker ( 4.6 ) and how you like it. I have an auto tranny/cooler and 30x9.5's right now and want to fit 33x10.5s with 3.5 inches of lift. Planning on bumpstops and lots of cutting to fit tires and stay low with lots of drooping flex. I have a sye installed and waiting for lift before measuring for ds. I don't want to regear if I don't have to... Let me know what you strokers out there are running and how you like it...

94 4 dr
auto

I don't have a stroker but my gut response is that if you go through the time/money to get a stroker why skimp out on proper gearing?

MONEY. The motor was blown so when I rebuilt it I stroked it for peanuts. There was no way around it, I had to have a motor, as it sits right now the 8.25 is fine and I would rather leave it alone if I can. My original thinking was if I am making about 50 more horsepower maybe its not as critical as with a stock motor to regear for 33's....

do you have a different cam in it? having once had my MJ with 33x12.50s, 3.55s and no stroker; I'm going to guess that it will be pretty decent, not optimal, but very liveable.

If the stroker and gears are locked in, and it's just a question of what size tire to buy, you should be able to find someone easy enough to borrow their 33s and see how it feels.

I have a cam for more low end than stock which is where I think a stock engine with 33's would suffer the most, getting everything moving from a stop. I think I'm going to just go ahead and do it. If I can't deal with it I'll save and change gears this coming spring. Thanks BrettM

INI SLDR said:
I have a cam for more low end than stock which is where I think a stock engine with 33's would suffer the most, getting everything moving from a stop. I think I'm going to just go ahead and do it. If I can't deal with it I'll save and change gears this coming spring. Thanks BrettM
What cam could possibly have more low-end torque than stock?

tealcherokee said:
a cam with a sharper duration.....
Theres no such thing!
Cams come in Lift/duration/and lobe center angles,the actual profile of the lobes have little-to-no effect(for the most common types of grinds used for resale) on the torque curve only extreme valve guide/valve stem wear.Most over-the -counter cams have symmetrical lobes,only the very high dollar custom cams have a non-linear profile.
http://cliffordperformance.net/Merc...e_Code=CP&Product_Code=92C111&Category_Code=J

Last edited:
Actually I got my cam from Clifford and they can grind a cam anyway you like it. I got mine ground for grunt. You want numbers? I'll try and dig up my cam card... The stock cam is an all around performer with no real strength or weakness. I lost some top end to have it down low.

I have a 4.0 With some mentionables I don't feel like listing with some 33x12.50 straped to it and I am happy with its performance offroad. Lower gears would be that much nicer though.

On the road I drive in 3 and when I get to highway speeds I shift to overdrive. Works fine for me. When more power is needed shift back down.

Before I got my 4.88s, I ran 33s and 3.55s putting on a lot of miles both on and off road. My motor remains stock internally with a few external tweaks. You'll be able to live with it. It's far from ideal and it's a little tough on the tranny, but it's manageable at least until you can regear. I found that the most troublesome part of the powerband was between 1800 and 2000 rpm. The motor would get stuck there quite often with the tranny not offering to downshift unless I really put my foot in it. At that range, it would develop enough torque to keep rolling, but not enough to move it briskly up into the meatier part of the range. Now with the 4.88s - she rocks! I can bark the tires at will and accelerate away from stops or rolling with the motor grabbing revs like crazy. You'll be able to live with the stock gears for a while, but start saving!!!

Thanks What Rd, thats what I needed to hear! I'll drive easy since the tranny is pushing 200k

INI SLDR said:
Thanks What Rd, thats what I needed to hear! I'll drive easy since the tranny is pushing 200k
Being kind to your junk is always a good idea. That said, don't be too worried about that tranny. I've got 237k on mine and it has a lot of life left in it. The AW4 lasts. IIRC, you said you had a seperate cooler for it, which is great because heat is the biggest enemy of any auto tranny. Put some fresh fluid in and save for those gears.
Enjoy.

I'm still saving my pennies for gears, in the meantime I have 33x12.50s with 3.55s and mostly stock motor.
It isn't that bad on/off road, I have wired in switches to control my trans so I can control the shift points witch helps a ton!!!
I also have a trans temp gauge, it doesn't get too hot unless I'm doing a lot of uphill climbing.

Do not do it. I have a mild stroker 4.2, and you can not stay in the right RPM unless you are in 2nd on the freeway. I also have stock gears and 33's. I just smoked the engine because it was lugging all the time under 2000 RPMs and fuel washing the oil.

Faux4X4 said:
I just smoked the engine because it was lugging all the time under 2000 RPMs and fuel washing the oil.

Maybe your engine had other issues... I don't understand what you mean by " fuel washing the oil. "

If he really had enough fuel in the oil to cause a lubrication-deficit failure, then he had serious problems way beyond gearing. If you dump enough fuel into a cylinder not all of it can burn and while some gets blown out the exhaust, some of it washes down the cylinder walls and leaks past the rings into the oil sump. But you've got to be dumping a huge amount of fuel, or have really bad ring seal, and be neglecting your oil service schedule, for it to get that bad.

i dunno why ppl are always complaining about gears...i got 33x13.5's and stock 3.07's and it really dosnt bother me. i just have to keep it in 4lo in the mud. when i put in my 8.8 next weeks im regearing to 4.88...i might just change the tune of my song after that...

thisfirstlove said:
i dunno why ppl are always complaining about gears...i got 33x13.5's and stock 3.07's and it really dosnt bother me. i just have to keep it in 4lo in the mud. when i put in my 8.8 next weeks im regearing to 4.88...i might just change the tune of my song after that...
you will. in the mud sure its fine. but try crawling a rock w/33s and stock gears, hell its not that easy w/31s. ask olivedrabcj7 how 36s and 3.55s work offroad on big rocks.

REGEAR IT

more power is not going to make up for gears. the lower the gears you have the slower you can crawl, all more power is going to do is let you spin your tires easier.

Back