• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

coil compressors

thompson97

NAXJA Forum User
need to pull my coils out today or tomorrow to put in ACOS. where's the best place to buy some coil compressors? the ones that i see at pep boys only have the single hook on each end, and say they're for struts only. the ones ive used before had a single hook on one end and two on the other. does this really matter? i don't want to buy them just to find out that its a PITA to use the single hook. thanks.

Any spring compressor is a PITA and dangerous. I know that autozone sells the double hook design, and it seems that it would be a little more safe than the single hook.

I've got to do the same thing next weekend to get my new RE coils in. Let me know what you end up running and how it goes.

Matt

Put front of XJ up on jackstands under the front of the framerails then just disconnect both front shocks, remove the retainer clips, jack up the opposite side and the other side will go down, spring will almost fall out. I don't like spring compressors either, they make me nervious, specially when it comes time to release them when you don't have a safety cage to do it in.

Ya Man you don’t need them. Do like he said, and they just fall out.

If you must use compressor try this little safety feature. Tighten (4 ea. top and bottom) down next your compressor and it can't slip off the spring. Takes longer, but worth it.
22422070sm.jpg

Back