• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Diesel cherokee questions

binks off road

NAXJA Forum User
So I stumbled across an immacculate 96 cherokee sport that has 10,000 miles on it. The kicker is that it's right hand drive and a diesel. I tried to searh but all I found where a few complaints about higher milage head woes. The truck is in the wrapper new and is rather unique and would go well in my collection. All I can really see is that at the front of the oil pan there is a little oil and when it sits it seemed a little hard to start but it runs like a top. I can purchase it and add a 3 year warranty that will cover it all. I guess my question is are the engines really that problematic or??? Ohh BTW it's a 2.5 turbo diesel and i doubt the truck will get anymore than 5,000 miles per year. Should I take the risk for a unique driver or are parts a nightmare if i need them?

2.5L? Not the 2.1L?

If it's the 2.5L, I think that makes it the VAM Diesel rather than the Renault, which is a better engine.

Given a chance, I'd likely take it - a Diesel can make a good commuter out here, and the RHD would be fun to watch people look at. I can handle RHD - I've done it overseas (it takes a little adjusting, but it's doable.) In fact, I think I've seen RHD conversion setups for domestic LHD setups...

If you're having trouble getting it started, you'll probably want a set of glow plugs for it - shouldn't be too bad. They go after a while - whether they're used or not (the only I've ever heard of glow plugs NOT going out is when they stay in the box...)

Howcumzit I can't find anything wifty like that out here? Damn California...

5-90

See my comments on other thread running on 2.5 TD XJ, but basically on a '96 if there is evidence of coolant being blown out of the header tank, it probably has one or more cracked heads. But at that mileage it should be ok. other than that they're pretty tough and pre '97 have conventional mechanical Bosch injection which has no electronics to go wrong. Pre '97 did have a bit of a rep for cracking heads from 60000 miles upwards. '97 on models were more or less sorted in that department. Parts are readily available and you should be able to order through US Jeep dealers. Otherwise get them from Europe. The two usual starting problems are Glow plugs, or there is a rubber blanking plug on the redundant spill pipe on no.4 injector which perishes and causes air to enter the fuel system.
The oil leak you mention is quite common. If it is just moist, leave it alone, otherwise if it's dripping the timing chain cover needs resealing or the front oil seal needs replacing. They are also usually oily round the bottom of the turbo hose where they connect to the intercooler.
If you can purchase with a 3 year warranty which covers everything I'd go for it at the right price. If you are going to 'wheel it stay away from deep water unless you have a snorkel as the slightest amount in the intake can destroy the engine on a diesel.
BTW I drive a LHD in the UK, no problem once you get used to it.
M.

So I bought the truck and I love it but, I have some more questions. There is no owners manual and I want one. I want to do an oil change and am not sure what oil to run and how much it takes. Can I run shell rotella? Someone told me there might be a european grade oil for that?? I also put a boost guage on it because I was curious. The truck runs 15lbs of boost. I wasn't sure if that was accurate. I tied into the line from the turbo to the wastegate is that correct. I am lost with diesels. Oh and I was wondering horsepower and torque numbers because everyone keeps asking and last but not least is a lighting question the marker lights under the headlamps don't light for parking lights they are wired for both turn signal and park lights. The wires for the parking lights don't show power or ground so I would assume they are not hooked to anything. Is there a fuse or do I need to tie them in myself. I think thats all any answers or links would be awesome. Everytime I search All I find is liberty(cherokee) stuff.

Either Shell or Mobils big rig oils will work. Both available just about anywhere and cheaper by the gallon. I run the stuff in my XJ, my work van and my bike.

Sarge

From the service manual...

ENGINE OIL—DIESEL ENGINES
Use only Diesel Engine Oil meeting standard MIL-2104C or API Classification D or higher or CCML D4, D5.
SAE VISCOSITY GRADE
CAUTION: Low viscosity oils must have the proper API quality or the CCMC G5 designation. To assure of properly formulated engine oils, it is recommended that SAE Grade 15W-40 engine oils that meet Chrysler material standard MS-6395, be used. European Grade 10W-40 oils are also acceptable.
Oils of the SAE 5W-40 or 8W-80 grade number are preferred when minimum temperatures consistently fall below -12°C.
2.5L Diesel . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 8.0 L

binks off road,

Hi, new member here. I have been an occational lurker for a long time, but I just had to register so I could ask you more about your diesel Cherokee. :)

Is it a 4 door? Any idea how this ended up in the USA? Any chance I could find one? I drive a 96 right hand drive with the 4.0, but with 216,000 rural mail route miles on it, I'm keeping my eyes open for something to replace it. A 2.5 diesel sounds like just what I need for the route. The 4.0 has been a great engine. It still does not use any oil and has never been opened up for anything, but the fuel cost is now eating me alive.

Thanks,
Neal

I own 4 diesels (trucks & cars), I have had been using the rotella synthetic oil from wally world. The synthetic oil holds up a few thouisand miles longer between changes and it definitely helps with cold cranking in the winter time.
Please make sure you buy quality oil filters (hastings ect..)

binks off road said:
last but not least is a lighting question the marker lights under the headlamps don't light for parking lights they are wired for both turn signal and park lights. The wires for the parking lights don't show power or ground so I would assume they are not hooked to anything. Is there a fuse or do I need to tie them in myself.

I had the same problem with my '94 - the blinkers and hazards work, but no parking lihgts. I traced the problem to the connector for the front lighting harness, located next to the airbox on my LHD 4.0 (driver's side). I forget the color of the wire, but it had rotted out from the connector itself. (I assume due to the high salt application here in New England...) I stripped the wires back to good copper and made a jumper across the OEM connector. I'll look at the wiring color tonight...

Sarge said:
Either Shell or Mobils big rig oils will work. Both available just about anywhere and cheaper by the gallon. I run the stuff in my XJ, my work van and my bike.

Sarge

I know WalMart sells RotellaT full synthetic diesel lube cheaply, something like $10-12/gallon. Since you got such a new engine I'd start it on a synthetic. How much I don't how many gallons you need but surely it will want a couple. You could probably find it or the Delvac 1 stuff cheaper in 5 gal buckets at places that sell stuff for commercial trucks. Chevron DELO 15-40, low wear diesel formula has worked really well in my 4.0 I6 (150K mi) and a few other vehicles I've put it in.

Doesw anyone know if the right hand drive turbo diesel Cherokee like binks off road bought is a manual tranny or automatic? I PMed binks several days ago, but no answer. I don't think he logs on here very often, so I wonder if anyone else knows.

Thanks,
Neal

your engine is produced in italy by VM Motori S.p.a.

Here there is the home page of the company in english:

http://www.vmmotori.it/en/01/00/00/index.jsp

Good engine with high torque!
The only sistematic fail on this engine is the head, be sure to warm up fine every time you start it, before run, some my friend having this engine with more then 150.000Km on it.

In case of head fail be sure to follow the FSM to replace it, it has a very complicate sequence for thight the screew of the head and collector togheter. If the procedure isn't followed in the proper way it fail after few miles of use.
Note: the head engine is composed by four separate elements, any mechanics here suggest to always raplace all the elements also if just one fail

bajacalal said:
I know WalMart sells RotellaT full synthetic diesel lube cheaply, something like $10-12/gallon. Since you got such a new engine I'd start it on a synthetic. How much I don't how many gallons you need but surely it will want a couple. You could probably find it or the Delvac 1 stuff cheaper in 5 gal buckets at places that sell stuff for commercial trucks. Chevron DELO 15-40, low wear diesel formula has worked really well in my 4.0 I6 (150K mi) and a few other vehicles I've put it in.

Saw this and thought I'd mention that Mobil Devlac 1 = Mobil Truck & SUV

Heckuva find there, Binks!

Rob

I am also quite curious how this thing found it's way to the US. For crying out loud I want a diesel Cherokee so badly, I am not only currently searching for a motor to TRANSPLANT into mine, but I am seriously considering buying a new Liberty just so I can put the motor into my Cherokee. Buying another motor for the Liberty and then selling the Libby.

I'd love a Euro truck/motor but I was concerned about parts.. though, in theory, they shouldn't be that hard to get.

sweetjeep said:
I am also quite curious how this thing found it's way to the US. For crying out loud I want a diesel Cherokee so badly, I am not only currently searching for a motor to TRANSPLANT into mine, but I am seriously considering buying a new Liberty just so I can put the motor into my Cherokee. Buying another motor for the Liberty and then selling the Libby.

I'd love a Euro truck/motor but I was concerned about parts.. though, in theory, they shouldn't be that hard to get.

Yea, me too.(wanting a diesel Cherokee) I need right hand drive so that really peaked my interest. Still don't know if it's a manual or automatic though. BTW, I looked up the price on the diesel Liberty a while back. I recall it being around $38,000 ! Don't know if that was base price or loaded, but it makes no difference to me as it's way outa my price range.

I saw one of these driving down the road one day in my rear view mirror. At first I couldn't figure what exactly caught my attention, but something didn't look right. Then I figured it was a RHD. We happend to stop at the light and I talked to the driver who was a mail man. He said the USPS bought a bunch of them and they are used for rural rout mail delivery here in the US.

viperbaron said:
I saw one of these driving down the road one day in my rear view mirror. At first I couldn't figure what exactly caught my attention, but something didn't look right. Then I figured it was a RHD. We happend to stop at the light and I talked to the driver who was a mail man. He said the USPS bought a bunch of them and they are used for rural rout mail delivery here in the US.

I am a rural mail carrier and as far as I know the USPS has never purchased any Cherokees for rural or city delivery. In what state did you see this?

Thanks,
Neal

Back