• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transfer case question

That's a 231.

What Year? I don't recall, but won't a disconnected vacuum line do that on the early D30?

Crawl up underneath the passenger side of the front axle and look for a large bulgish assembly on the back near the control arm. There *should* be a vacuum line coming down the lower control arm from the t-case that attaches to the bulge on the axle. That's your vaccum shift assembly that fortunately was deleted soon after...but if it's loose or disconnected at either end you won't get 4wd. I also think that will cause the light to come on, but that's an odd tidbit that may be misremembered from years ago...

I thought '91 was the first year they didn't use the disconnect with the 231. In any event, my experience has been that with a vacuum leak the light won't go on because the disconnect won't engage. If the light stays on, I don't know if that's an indication that the disconnect is engaged and won't disengage due to lack of vacuum, or if it indicates a different problem.

If there's no vacuum disconnect on the axle, look for a switch to control the light right on the transfer case.

Back