• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C Compressor Replacement Needed

I just replaced my compressor. I went with one from O'Reilly Auto Parts, Around $180 with a 1 year warranty. If I were to do it again I would just get a new Sanden SD-508. They float around on ebay for Street Rods. You can also get them at Jeg's...follow the link below.

www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=191693&prmenbr=361

Hope any of this helps. Like I said try Ebay too, that is a common compressor.

Ooo thats a R134 model, I think my 88 uses R12. Thanks for the link though i will look for a Sanden R12 model.

Ummm....any new or reman compressor works with R-134a or R-12, you just have to lube it with the right oil. Yes, you're 1988 is R-12 but these will still work. You might consider doing a conversion too, really not much harder once you're replacing the compressor anyway.
Collin

OK, I'm not too knowledgable on A/C. What do i need to do to convert my R12 system to a R134 system??

Order a R-135a compressor then have it charged with R-135a and new oil.

The system needs to be vaccum pumped after you install the compressor, or it will freeze up so you will need to take it in to the AC shop after you do the hard stuff.

Last edited:
I just did the whole conversion on my '90, heres what you should do(your 88 is the same.) If you're replacing your compressor it is strongly advised you replace your receiver drier also. If your old compressor went out bad like it started making internal noises you want to replace the expansion valve also(like a $20 part.) You can bolt these all up yourself just make sure you have O-Rings situated where they should go. After you get all the components bolted on and the hoses hooked back up have the system evacuated. After that have it oiled and charged and you're good to go! I'm not a mechanic by any means and I was able to do it in one day, but a person who knew just a little bit more than me could do it much quicker I'm sure.(if that makes sense) Let me know if you have any questions because like I said I just did this.

jcnoble said:
OK, I'm not too knowledgable on A/C. What do i need to do to convert my R12 system to a R134 system??

Based on this question...I must ask - Why do you think your compressor is bad?

I took it to get charged, the shop told me my compressor had two leaks and needed replaced.

Cool thanks, all I know is the guy said I had two leaks in the compressor. He had a serious looking XJ too, 35's and big axles.

Before you buy a compressor, see if you can fix your leaks. I just replaced everything last week. Do you know if your compressor is holding vaccum? If you're not sure about the leaks, see if they can put a dye in it. If you don't feel like converting to r-134a, you can always buy 3 cans of freeze-12, it's about 12.95 a can (12 oz.). R-12 (substitutes included) are said to cool better than r-134a. Replace your a/c comp., expansion valve, and accumulator (drier). I feel pretty lucky, that I brought my a/c back to life. There's so many things that could make the system fail.

Back